VIN stamped on engine block?

• Sponsors (?)

Oh yeah, it is also rumored a few block slipped without being stampped, but now-a-days, that just means someone found a matching non k-code block and claimed it was one that wasn't stamped. Don't fall for it.

Also, the tranmission should have a vin stamp too. From pics I have seen, they are on the bottom.

I think '67 and later, all blocks were stamped. Before, just hipos.

VIN numbers were stamped on a flat on the block behind the intake. Never heard of it being stamped near the oil pan.

I agree. My boss block was stamped on the top rear of the block behind the intake. It was only the numeric production number though. The date code was also stamped into the block near the front of the deck. On the same surface that the head bolts too only right at the front edge.

I assume neither of the possible VIN locations on the block are visible from under the hood or underneath the car. I guess the motor would have to be removed from car to see the VIN?

On 289s, you can only see the date code if the starter is removed or with a mirror and a lot of luck/carrots for good eye sight. This will at least tell you if it is possible for the block to belong to the car

I have never seen a hipo block, so I don't know anymore about the VIN's location/seeing it.

I've seen the date code behind the starter, but I was looking for the car's VIN on the block. I looked on the block where it meets the pan, but could not find it. As for the small print, my eyes as bad as anyone's. I take a close up picture with my digital camera, then review the picture and zoom it in, with my reading glasses on. Works well.