Viper Spec T56 and parts finally arrived (DUW)

baglock1

The Bartender
Founding Member
Aug 25, 2001
Space Coast, FL
Since the future motor is probably going to put out more power at an idle than the stock T5 can handle, I figured that a new transmission was definitely going to be needed. So what’s a guy to do? Call D & D Performance of course and order up a balanced and blueprinted Viper spec T56.

t56_rs.jpg

For those who don’t know, this is a genuine Dodge Viper transmission that’s been completely gone through and built up.

viper_logo_rs.jpg

It’s rated at 650 tq/ft and has been living happily behind much higher numbers than that. There has been a report of someone killing it with ~700 hp -800 hp but I feel that was an isolated incident (that I still haven’t gotten all the details on) and not truly indicative of the true nature of this tranny. If I’m wrong... well, the proposed motor will certainly let me know and I’ll come up with another solution then.

It should never die of overheating though as I will be plumbing it for cooling so that extended runs at high RPM won’t overheat the oil and fry the gears. I’ll be using a Setrab style cooler, Tilton (or Modine) fluid pump, and AN -8 fittings and hose. Since this will be street driven as well, a thermostat set for around 190* will be used as well.

The gearing in this tranny is referred to as “close ratio“ and is as follows:
1 -- 2.66
2 -- 1.78
3 -- 1.30
4 -- 1.00
5 -- .74
6 -- .50

So, coupled with the stock 3.08’s (which I plan to keep), here are some examples of speed vs rpm vs gear:

77 mph 5500 rpm 2nd gear
105 mph 5500 rpm 3rd gear
75 mph 3000 rpm 4th gear
91 mph 2700 rpm 5th gear
89 mph 1800 rpm 6th gear

Coupled with a ton of power, I should hit just over 200 mph in 5th at 6000 rpm and 300 mph in 6th (come on salt flats!).

The one thing I don’t like about this transmission is the weight. I weighed it at 136# dry (no fluid). I’m also going to be gaining some weight from the fluid pump, cooler, and plumbing. I’m hoping that the weight loss from the flywheel and driveshaft will help to offset this gain.

Since the T56 utilizes a reverse gear lockout to prevent you from accidentally hitting reverse, a little bit of electrical work is needed. I went down to Radio Shack and picked up a small, momentary-on push button switch that I plan to install underneath the steering column. Holding this button down will energize the lockout solenoid and allow me to shift into reverse. While the solenoid is de-energized (i.e. button is not being held down), it is impossible to engage reverse accidentally. It is true that you can physically overpower the solenoid, but so much force is required it can’t be done accidentally.

A dedicated switch is the easy way to do it but not the cleanest. What I’m considering is building a device that translate the Vehicle Speed Sensor’s (VSS) output and wire it to a relay. When the VSS reads 5 mph or less, the relay puts power to the solenoid. Clean, neat, trick. Whether or not I do it depends on how lazy I am over the next couple weeks.

A T56 won’t work in a SN-95 Mustang without a custom driveshaft. And with the power I have in mind, your typical aluminum shaft won’t cut it. I ended up getting a MMC (metal matrix composite) shaft from D&D as well.

driveshaft_2_rs.jpg

Apparently, it’s a Kevlar reinforced aluminum composite. Built by Dynotech Motorsports, it’s the same shaft that Don Walsh is using on his 6.0 second Pro 5.0 car so it should be just fine under mine. Especially since I won’t be doing hard launches on sticky tires.

The stock driveshaft weighs in right at 22 lbs (according to my list of weights). A Ford Motorsports driveshaft tips the scales at 16 lbs. This one is 15 lbs even with the big, beefy Spicer yoke. I’m pretty happy with it based off of my initial impressions. Is it worth the extra $100? I’ll let you know after I get the motor done. ;)

Of course, it wasn’t until after I ordered it that I realized Dynotech also offers carbon driveshafts. I do believe I’m going to call them up to see about a return and putting the cost towards a new carbon fiber driveshaft balanced to 10K. I’ll keep you all posted on my decision.

A McLeod Twin Disk clutch setup with aluminum flywheel was next on the invoice.

mcleod_street_twin_rs.jpg

mcleod_al_flywheel_rs.jpg

The twin disk setup differs from your typical clutch in that it actually has two clutch disks inside of it. This doubles the effective clamping surface while still providing decent street manners. Pedal effort is comparable to stock (lighter in some cases and considering my current clutch, I’m positive it will have less tension) yet it’s torque capacity is rated at well over 800 tq/ft. I’ve heard some sources say that it’s good for nearly 1200hp while dumping it on slicks. For what it’s worth, the LS1 guys haven’t found its limits on the street.

Since I already busted the bank with everything else, I spent a few extra bucks on a new quadrant, firewall adjuster, and pedal height kit.

quadrant_pedal_adjuster_firewall_adjuster_rs.jpg

The quadrant is from Maximum Motorsports and mimics the stock ramping. Considering the clutch, I didn’t want to get a quadrant that increased the ramp any. This unit replaces the stock quadrant which is made of plastic and utilizes a spring tensioned pawl and plastic teeth to automatically adjust for clutch wear. The plastic is far too weak for performance clutches (and even has a hard time with the stock clutches on occasion) and so needs to be replaced in order to handle the increased loads brought on by working against a stronger pressure plate. Since the aluminum quadrant doesn’t have a self adjuster, a firewall adjuster must be used so that clutch wear can be manually adjusted for.

The firewall adjuster I’m using is the double lock, extreme firewall adjuster from UPR, anodized in pimpy blue ;). It utilizes a neat setup to lock the adjuster securely by screwing a locking ring down to put tension against the threads. It also uses two screws to securely fasten it to the firewall. I’m not a big fan of UPR based on some of their past business dealings with acquaintances of mine and their over abundance of bling vs. performance, but I really think they have a winner with this piece. It’s solid, it works, and it was reasonably priced. 3 out of 3 makes me a happy guy.

The pedal height adjuster is also from Maximum and allows you to change the height of the clutch pedal (through the use of a firewall adjuster) so that foot work is made a bit easier. I have a bad habit of catching the side of the brake pedal as I’m hitting the clutch and feel that this might help me out significantly. Of course, smaller feet might help too. ;) With this installed, I should be able to get the clutch pedal even with the brake.

All told, I’m really excited about this next phase of the project. Once I get around to installing it, I plan to do a write up as I know that there are a lot of people who are curious about this swap (and a limited number on the 94-95 forum that have done it).

Questions?

• Sponsors (?)

Nice setup- as an alternative for the reverse lockout I used for mine is to wire it to the brake switch on the brake so that I don't have to worry about hitting a switch to use reverse. You can do a google search on what connector to buy (it's a GM part) and see how that goes.

Grats on the new tranny :) I think you'll like it :)

OinkAodeOink said:
what are your plans for the car? AI, or somthing? What kinda power are you planning on making?

Originally, I was building it for opentracking and then started modding it to be legal for AI. But unfortunately, my current job won't allow me to be competitive for an entire season so I decided to hold off on that project for a few years. So then I decided to build it up for a few open road racing events (Silver State Challenge) and a couple runs at Bonneville.

When I decided on this course, I had a couple criteria that I wanted to adhere to. It would retain the air conditioning. It would be easily capable of being street driven. And the big one,; it had a top speed of over 200 mph. I've since decided that the top speed will be at least 250 mph, but I'm not so adamant on the A/C as I don't think it'll fit with a 351 AND a turbo setup.

The engine itself will be a aluminum motor 427 (dart 351W block) with a big ass turbo on it. I'm looking for around 1800 hp under a huge amount of boost and 650-750 with the boost cranked all the way down for the street.

Will it work the way I want? Probably not. Will it be expensive as hell? It already is. Will it be fun either way? You betcha.

donjohn said:
WOW, nice writup... i think you've pretty much handled the q's... wonder why u weren't up for member of the year

Apparently, I'm not one of the "cool kids." :( :lol:

all i have to say is, damn!
200-250mph on the flats, in a mustang at that (though built for it), you have some balls!

I dont see a reason why you shouldnt be able to retain a/c... You should still retain room on the drivers side for the compressor and p/s pump. Its defintaly do able..

As i say, Where theres a will theres a way!

You have the exact set up I have except I used a steel flywheel with my twin disc and a Pro 50 shifter. Pedal effort is near stock. Also I had Don Walsh set me up with a custom fitted Mcleod steel bellhousing and spacer so I would be legal at the drag strip. Not sure if it's something you'd be interested in or not. Hopefully I'll get it down to Don Jr for a tune this spring so I can see how it all works on the street with that clutch.. The reverse lock out sylinoid I wouldn't even bother with hooking up an electrical connection.. It's not that hard to push through it IMO. It never really bothered me any. With mine and 3:73's I could run 80 mph at about 1800-1900 rpms down the Eway. Last time I talked to Don Sr I believe he said they never had a mechanical faliure due to over powering and breaking internals. I know they have been behind 1000+ hp cars. Enjoy when you get it done.. I'm sure you'll be happy with it :nice:

Also did you have Don cut your input shaft bearing retainer down on the tranny so you can use that clutch or are you doing that yourself. I couldn't think of a way to cut it without hitting the main shaft so I let D&D do it for me. I believe it needed to be cut back 7/16" to clear.

According to my calculations, if you spin the motor to 7000 RPM and you make 1800 horsepower, you are going to need 1320 ft/lbs of torque to get you there. That trans isn't going to live for too long behind something like that. It should, however, live behind something much more powerful than 650 ft/lbs of torque, as the record for the fastest 6-speed car is a Viper that ran 8.88 on a STOCK T56. :eek:

Overall, I'm very impressed with the T56. I'd love to bust one open and play with it, but I haven't had that opportunity yet.

Very nice write up, and I guess it is fair to say "Merry Christmas" now. :D

Joe

ponyboy19 said:
You have the exact set up I have except I used a steel flywheel with my twin disc and a Pro 50 shifter. Pedal effort is near stock. Also I had Don Walsh set me up with a custom fitted Mcleod steel bellhousing and spacer so I would be legal at the drag strip. Not sure if it's something you'd be interested in or not.

Since NHRA legality isn’t a concern for me, I decided not to bother. I’ll probably be installing a kevlar scatter shield though, just in case.

ponyboy19 said:
The reverse lock out sylinoid I wouldn't even bother with hooking up an electrical connection.. It's not that hard to push through it IMO. It never really bothered me any.

My wife still drives the car occasionally. For this reason, installing the switch is a condition that was laid out before buying the tranny. :shrug:

ponyboy19 said:
Also did you have Don cut your input shaft bearing retainer down on the tranny so you can use that clutch or are you doing that yourself. I couldn't think of a way to cut it without hitting the main shaft so I let D&D do it for me. I believe it needed to be cut back 7/16" to clear.

Actually, I didn’t even know about the need to cut it down until after I got the clutch. By that time, the T56 was already on my workbench. I’m calling D&D this week to discuss the best method for cutting it down but it doesn’t look to difficult. Nothing some grease, a dremel, and a 6-pack can’t fix. ;)

Joes95GT said:
According to my calculations, if you spin the motor to 7000 RPM and you make 1800 horsepower, you are going to need 1320 ft/lbs of torque to get you there. That trans isn't going to live for too long behind something like that. It should, however, live behind something much more powerful than 650 ft/lbs of torque, as the record for the fastest 6-speed car is a Viper that ran 8.88 on a STOCK T56.

Joe,

You have some valid concerns and the power capability of the T56 is definitely on my “Worried About” list. However, I feel that the tranny should be able to handle it due to the fact that I won’t be doing any hard launches on slicks with it. My main concern is that the clutch will fail while trying to push against the wind at over 200. At this point, I feel the clutch will be the breaking point, not the tranny.

If the clutch does indeed fail on me, I’ll readdress the entire drivetrain then.

1105 said:
where exactly in FL do you live and do you have any alarms or security cameras around your house? Neighbors live close to you? :D

How does 2 pit bulls, a preban Glock, and a semi auto 12 gauge sound? The rest of my firearms are back in AZ at my parents place... Maybe I’ll bring back a few more next time I visit...

baglock1 said:
My wife still drives the car occasionally. For this reason, installing the switch is a condition that was laid out before buying the tranny. :shrug:

My first reaction was... damn, I'd never let any chick drive that car. Then I remembered that the blonde posing on your hood in your avatar was in fact your wife, so I guess it's alright. :rolleyes:

How are you gonna stop this thing? Do you plan on any brake upgrades? I know its not as fun to worry about brakes, but I was just wondering. I've been considering cobra brake upgrades recently to deal with my bolt-on stopping needs, I can't even imagine an 1800 horsepower monster...