Vision coming into view

exiled

May 4, 2007
I've just about desided on what I want to do to my 07 GT or start with at least. Seeing how its suppose to be a tribute of the 68' I've believe I'm goingto leave it at factory hight. I want to change the shifter with a short throw shifter. Right now I'm liking the hurst but still concidering the steeda tri-ax. Anybody have these shifters, whats your thoughts. I'm going to instal a cai, I'm thinking about frpp as my first choice but to be honest I've never used frpp and not sure about it. If i dont use frpp then it'll most likely be k&n or airraid. I plan on painting the black pipe and heat sheild the same color as the car. I'm looking at tuning it with sct. I cant make up my mind weither to use livewire or just hand tuner. I've spent a good deal of the morning talking with the parts house and cant get any info. My thoughts on going with the livewire is supposely yopu can see your hp rating and torque. What I want to know is if it'll store it and then if i can hook it up to my pc/laptop and print the results off. Its really not a big deal but i sure like to beable to do that. I like to set the tuners with a switch I;m not sure if sct can be interfaced like that. Of cousre getting the exhuast flowing better is on the menu. I'm not going to go crazy here just a better flowing muffler or complete muffler delete. Pretty much at this point I'm going to the dyno and see what I've acheived. What I'm looking for is around 300 horses on the ground on 87 octane. I'm really looking for that musclecar. If what I've done has'nt gotten me close enough then It'll be time for a supercharger and It'll most likely be a whipple.
The thing about a tuner on switch is. My wife loves the "go baby go" button on Elinor. She gets giddie when she watchs the movie and Randle leaves the helicoptor. So on her 01 instead of nos we setup a on the fly tuner with a button.
Any idea's are very welcome.

• Sponsors (?)

I've been researching CAI's for awhile now and I think I've finally decided on the C&L street intake with the SCT 2 tuner. I was debating about the Livewire until I read about all the problems that Livewire has caused with people's cars. It just came out this year and as with anything new, they need to work the bugs out. Go to SCT's website and view their forums on the Livewire. That will give you a good idea of all the problems they've been having.

Just my opinion but I would stay away from Livewire for a little while. Plus, I'm pretty sure you can do all the things you were talking about (like hooking it up to your home PC to view data logs) with the SCT 2.

Anyway, somebody that actually has Livewire, or any tuner for that matter, can probably answer these questions better than me. :D

If you're going for the 60's throwback mustang, get the Hurst shifter. It is by far the coolest looking shifter out there. It is not the best mechanically (it doesn't have a spring to help you hit 3rd almost all the time and all of that like the Steeda or the MGW) but it looks the best IMO.

Also, mufflers are not going to get you anything HP/TQ wise. An H pipe or X pipe will net you some horsepower along with headers.

Hand held tuners like the Xcal 2 and Predator change the software on your cars computer, and do so with the engine turned off. They unlike a chip cannot be switched on the fly.

The edge for one can be switched on the fly.......

Hobo thanks for your suggestion. I think from what i've seen the hurst does look best. I've always used hurst products and they really seem to hold up. No I dont look for much hp from mufflers just alittle better flow and sound. I've always held to 1 stragy. If I do anything to the induction I do to the exhuast. I may endup at the muffler shop and end up from the head back upgrade.

richn I'm really leaning toward the sct xcal. I really did'nt like my edge. It just seems to me thats all the livewire is a sct version of the evolution. Dont get me wrong the edge made good power but could be very user unfriendly. On the diesel side I've only heard good things about the sct xcal so I think thats how I'm going.

IMO, I believe I have a good representation of the "muscle car era" sound with my Pypes O/R H pipe and Flowmaster axlebacks. It is very loud at half throttle + and is very deep sounding. I hope to get some vids from outside of it in the next few days so I can post them. Plus I'm very curious as to what it sounds like outside the car as well! I have yet to come across another Stanger with this setup(in person).

IMO, I believe I have a good representation of the "muscle car era" sound with my Pypes O/R H pipe and Flowmaster axlebacks. It is very loud at half throttle + and is very deep sounding. I hope to get some vids from outside of it in the next few days so I can post them. Plus I'm very curious as to what it sounds like outside the car as well! I have yet to come across another Stanger with this setup(in person).

Thanks dawg. Are you running catback or did you go w/ headers? Something I read said that ford spent time tuning the sound on these s197 mustangs. Did they actually listen or did they hire temp employes for the job? I tell ya this our 07 does'nt sound too impressive. My 87' sounded better. I dont want to install headers right now but I iI endup there, but I really think that axleback will do just fine for getting 300 horses to the rear.
I know what you mean I always hate when I get my pipes on my trucks cause sitting in cab you cant get a good hear. On my 05' F150Fx4 ford put that quiet steel liner in it and you could'nt hear hardly anything inside. I took my truck in the shop 3 times complaining. After the 3rd time when i went and picked it up I went around the block and man I was mad. There was'nt much difference or at least I thought. The guy got in my truck and started it up I was out side the truck oh man was it loud. My truck sounds mean. I would have probally been aight w/ it the first time if I could have been outside the truck.
I hope to beable to hear your stang.......