Vortech but ahhh the KB

JTAM963

Sep 5, 2004
I was just wondering would it even be worth it to buy the V2 or whatever vortech kit or just all out save for the KB? I want power now and would love to get to 400rwhp anyway possible...just KB seems the best gains and what not..just I'm not loving the price.anyway JW

• Sponsors (?)

GitDat said:
Yep, but you'll only have half the fun on the torque curve :D

I have driven a KB car, and yeah that torque curve is kewl, but in racing it isnt really needed. the Vortech kicks in ahead of the rpm I race at. I also have seen a car with a vortech running the same boost outrun said KB car.

I like the KB.. but for the price... get the vortech. either way you wont be dissapointed.:nice:

How much you think would it cost for the kit and the install? I'm not thinking I can do it with basic tools? Anyway what you guys think of a self install? I know my way around the engine but im def no mechanic...and would I even be at 400rwhp after being stock now? I want to ger LT headers and new midpipe otherwise STOCK:shrug:

I was at 370rwhp after mongoose vortech kit and powerpipe - now after upping the boost and headers I'm closer to 400-420rwhp. I ran consistent 12.9's on street tires before headers and 11psi - now I run consistent 12.7's and today I ran consistent 12.5's on drag radials with 1.8 60ft and a pro tree (low 12's if i could hook better and with regular lights).

Lights shouldnt effect your ET. if you just after times that is. if your racing to race the car next to you then yeah,.. could get ansy and all that. I dont get into bracket racing or anything. i just try to beat my best time. therefore I could care less if i cut a 3.0 RT:lol:

It's funny how ppl say tq is not needed for racing yet when we're comparing a 260bhp Mustang GT versus 260bhp Nissan Altima or other import with similar hp they say the stang wins because of tq curve. Torque DOES matter.

Contray to popular belief, KB stangs make excellent track cars. Putting the extra low end tq to the ground is more difficult but I would use sticky tires and improve the suspension before placing the blame on the blower.

I'm probably going to do some mods like LTs n new hpipe with my welded flows and then save for charger...hopefully one can come up on ebay or some classifieds and I can get my hands on one for under 3 gs that'd be nice..my car is auto so maybe I won't even get into 370 range...but hey 350 I'd be happy then maybe raise the boost or anything to get around 400..I just want a more fun daily driver...anyhow what about them crate engines? I was reading my Jegs catalog today and was looking at the cobra jet engines n what not....They don't seem too bad a deal...but would they fit in a 02 GT body without anything being modified to fit..seems cheaper for a lot more horse :shrug: