Vortech Pulley question

mat82284

Jul 31, 2003
right now my car is getting rebuilt and will be done by friday. I plan on installing my Vortech V2-SQ with custom intercooler setup, and im aiming for 500hp. I would like to know what size pulley should get me there? I was thinking the 2.87in would get me 14-15psi which i'm assuming i'll need for 500hp. Its geting comp stage 2 cams and i have custom ported heads being thrown on as well. I'm all set for fuel and every supporting mod. I was thinking of an 8rib setup but this is my daily driver and i rarely ever go full throttle up to 6k rpms unless im at the track, so some belt slip wouldn't bother me, i can just buy some belt spray if needed for a quick track fix. I was thinking of 8 rib setup but almost everything i read about it said they go through 3-4 belts a year and i dont want to deal with that. Something about the vortech aluminum bracket flexing which causes the belts to break.

Also what size belt would i need with the 2.87 pulley? I heard the belt sizes vary between the years so im not sure if 99-00 is the same as 01-04 I have a 2000.

• Sponsors (?)

Well I have an 8rib kit and have used the same belt for two years now. Belt slip is not good to have and will ruine a belt.

As far as pulley size I'm not sure since all cars make different numbers. I think a 2.9-2.8 would get you in the 500+rwhp range.

right now my car is getting rebuilt and will be done by friday. I plan on installing my Vortech V2-SQ with custom intercooler setup, and im aiming for 500hp. I would like to know what size pulley should get me there? I was thinking the 2.87in would get me 14-15psi which i'm assuming i'll need for 500hp. Its geting comp stage 2 cams and i have custom ported heads being thrown on as well. I'm all set for fuel and every supporting mod. I was thinking of an 8rib setup but this is my daily driver and i rarely ever go full throttle up to 6k rpms unless im at the track, so some belt slip wouldn't bother me, i can just buy some belt spray if needed for a quick track fix. I was thinking of 8 rib setup but almost everything i read about it said they go through 3-4 belts a year and i dont want to deal with that. Something about the vortech aluminum bracket flexing which causes the belts to break.

Also what size belt would i need with the 2.87 pulley? I heard the belt sizes vary between the years so im not sure if 99-00 is the same as 01-04 I have a 2000.

If you go to that size of a pulley, you are probably going to need an 8 rib setup...otherwise you are going to get belt slippage....

You are going to need that size to produce that much boost to get the numbers you are looking for...

Well i have read many people that have successfully used a 2.87 pulley without belt slip, so i figured ill buy a 8 rib pulley and later on upgrade. Sine the 6 rib belt will fit on the pulley it makes sense to buy it now instead of double buying it.

I looked at the Vortech v2 that i have in the box and the pulley on the unit is a 3.33 pulley, but i also have this other weird pulley that was included in the kit and im not sure where it goes to. It seems to small to be a blower pulley (2.5') , but it does look like one, what do you think? it's a 6 rib pulley.

I also have another question, I'm trying to figure out what head unit i have. I dont see online anywhere a way to tell if i have a SC-Trim S-trim or maybe an E-trim and so on. The head unit is also missing the vortech Engraved name on the outside of the head unit. Did vortech sell some units without there name etched on the front? Was it specific to a certain unit or just random?

here is a picture of the propeller.

I made 587rwhp with a 8rib kit and 2.8 Reichard racing pulley. I am selling my entire setup if you are interested I can PM you the details.

Your setup basically will mimic mine. I also have a fmic and wanted to make 15 psi with my V-2. The good thing is the higher you rev the more boost it will make. So I would recommend a 2.9 or 2.8 reichard racing ultragrip pulley. If you are 00-04 you might need a 8 rib. If yo are 96-99 then 6 rib will be ok, the reason I say this is because on the 96-99 the pulley arrangement is different and they have a lot better belt wrap around the pulley. I'm running a 2.7 reichard 6 rib pulley but my car is a 98.

no belt slip here with 2.87....
Ahh thats good, I have a 2000 and if its just like 98GTfromGA says then 6 rib might be hard for me. Thats good though that its working out. How much psi are you pulling?

I made 587rwhp with a 8rib kit and 2.8 Reichard racing pulley. I am selling my entire setup if you are interested I can PM you the details.
you have a PM.

Your setup basically will mimic mine. I also have a fmic and wanted to make 15 psi with my V-2. The good thing is the higher you rev the more boost it will make. So I would recommend a 2.9 or 2.8 reichard racing ultragrip pulley. If you are 00-04 you might need a 8 rib. If yo are 96-99 then 6 rib will be ok, the reason I say this is because on the 96-99 the pulley arrangement is different and they have a lot better belt wrap around the pulley. I'm running a 2.7 reichard 6 rib pulley but my car is a 98.
Ahh i see, well that would explain the reason why everyone goes 8 rib on 2000+ I'm thinking of just trying out the 6 rib and see what happens, but i'm not sure yet, i might just do 8 rib. How much boost are you getting?