Walbro 255 in-tank pump going out?

HuebyStang94

Aug 25, 2004
STL
Hey all,

I have a in-tank walbro 255 fuel pump that has around 10,000 miles on it over 6 months.

The other day after filling up the car would only turn over. I was getting plenty of spark, so I moved on to a fuel problem. One mechanic suggested banging on the fuel tank while cranking over. I did this, and it started up fine.

He tried to explain some rotating pieces in the pump can get locked up if the pump is going out, and you can loosen them up or wiggle them and get the pump to work.

Has anyone heard anything remotely close to this??? ..... and is my fuel pump ALREADY going out?? I've never had any problems before this, and it always held great fuel pressure. Any comments would be welcome!!!

• Sponsors (?)

first question would be check the wiring first, if you have a short or a loose connector that would do the same thing, as well as maybe start working again when you bang around in that area.......i mean it could be the pump but, i'd check the wires and ground going to it just in case

I've seen pumps go quicker. It sucks, but it happens. I've also seen them work from Knocking on the tank, got me home one day. I thought it had something to do with the gears inside the pump, i could hear mine grinding.