walmart code read, can't get working

Mustangless

Jun 27, 2003
home
I just got that $32 code reader at walmart but can't get it working. Its the yellow and black one. I plug it in and turn the key on but keep engine off. Turn on the code reader and get 000. Push the test/hold button and it sounds like the fuel pump does something for half a second. The 000 stays and no triangle goes into the bottom corner. Does anyone else have this problem?

• Sponsors (?)

matthiasj said:
did the fan come on automaticly? MAKE SURE YOU FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS and make sure you ahve it plugged in right, i didnt plug it in right the first time, you might not hve any codes

no, the fan did nothing. When I tried it with a wire I got the fan on and I think it was an egr code.

make sure you plugged it in right, and not upside down, it'll go in either way. When you start the test the fan should kick on, and it'll test a bunch of stuff, y ou'll hear it make all kinds of noises, then it will display the codes, if you have any.

matthiasj said:
make sure you plugged it in right, and not upside down, it'll go in either way. When you start the test the fan should kick on, and it'll test a bunch of stuff, y ou'll hear it make all kinds of noises, then it will display the codes, if you have any.

I had it upside down. I got nothing during KOEO but got 2 during KOER but I think its because I did something wrong. I have to read some of the book and make sure I do everything right.

YES make sure its turned right. i forgot to tell you about that matt when i was telling ya where to find it. If you have it turned right and it still dont work i would take it back and swap for another one. possibly a bad egg. lol