Wastegate Actuator Rod disconnection

mUsh

Founding Member
Jan 2, 2002
Calgary, AB
Just wondering if leaving my wastegate actuator rod unhooked from the wastegate flapper would cause any damage to the turbo itself? I'd imagine it wouldnt as without the WGA rod pulling the wastegate flapper closed it would just stay open venting all boost off the turbine. I just cant stand this damn rattle anymore and Id rather be boostless than rattleful. I'm almost positive its the WGA that is causing the rattle, I'm going to throw a vacuum pump on it tonight if I can get my hands on one to see if it will hold 9-10psi or not. I'm almost hoping it doesnt as it looks like replacing a WGA would be easier than taking apart the exhaust outlet to fix a wastegate.

• Sponsors (?)

Check to make sure that the rod is held on there with a c clip. I had a rattle everytime I shifted and I went to the junkyard to get a different actuator, I had noticed that one was held on with a c clip. just something to check for since mine was missing that little clip

Trust me you would be able to hear this on your car if you had the same problem. To be honest Im not sure if I have the c-clip on there still, the rod looks like its welded together, I couldnt get it off yesterday since it started raining as soon as I got home so I just shot it with some penetrant. I'm still not sure wether the problem is the wastegate not fully closing or a broken spring or diaphram in the WGA as for some stupid reason I thought it opened by vacuum, so today I have to find an air source to apply 10psi and see if it moves when it should and if it holds some pressure.

BTW if it is the WGA diaphram/spring would that cause ALOT of lag and low boost? Like I dont even start building boost until about 3000RPM and maybe hit 5 or 6 psi by like 4800-5000RPM in 1st, never above 5psi in any other gear/rpm. Ive replaced all vacuum lines, made a new gasket to go between the compressor inlet and housing, checked the IC hoses, checked/tightened all exhaust bolts, vam hose is cleaned/tight, replaced pcv and added a villager checkvalve. Oh and the compressor has a very small amount of play maybe a few thousands end play and a few thousands side to side, there are a few small scuff marks on the housing but for a turbo with 250,000km on it, I'd expect a little wear and tear in there. Im not too sure about the BCS though as it looks like it has been taken apart in the past since the retaining tabs are broken on it.