Water in trunk area?

callahan318

Jun 6, 2010
I am shopping for a new 2011 Mustang (but am looking at the 2010 to get an idea.)

I went to two different dealerships and looked the trunks of the cars and found something that is very interesting. When the trunk lid was opened, the left and right rear of the trunk edges were open, almost in a sqaure type cutout near the tail lights. It did not appear that the trunk area is sealed and water or debris can get into the area between the inside of the trunk and the outer rear quarter panel. Upon closer inspection, I found that there appears to be no place for the water to go and I am wondering is this normal?

If so, what happens to the water?

If not, what is the fix for this problem?

Can that area be sealed so that water does not get into the area around the tail light covers and on the wires?

And could the designers at Ford have dropped the ball with this?

I really, really like the car I just do not want to get something that is going to rust out from under me as I live in Oregon where we get a lot of rain.

• Sponsors (?)

Every year or so I remove the tail lights and clean behind them and yeah its a lil work but no biggy. I suggest that everyone do this and get 6 rubber washers to replace the little goo they put on at the factory. A tooth brush works good in some of those areas. :) I did mine the other day and now shes faster. :)