Water pump gasket failure!?

DemonGT

Founding Member
May 24, 2002
Sparta,WI
last weekend i left a freinds house and got on it alittle bit and when i looked in my mirror i seen what looked like liquid on the road...drove a few more blocks to a stop sign and seen i was starting to over heat so i drove a few more blocks to my house and shut it off and found coolent slung all over....

today i seen the rad. was half empty so i put water in it to fill it up so i could start the motor to see where the leak was...i didnt even have to start the motor..i just filled the rad. and it just started pouring out of the bottom of the water pump...i went under the car and seen where it was leaking out right in the middle on the bottom..looks like the gasket blew out there or something??

what could cause the water pump gasket to blow out? did i just do a crappy job installing the pump/gasket? also is there any special kind of WP gasket you guys use/recommend? if not ill just go to the local parts store and get one

P.S. gasket was a Fel pro, timing cover to WP back plate, gasket between WP and back plate was a unknown brand that came with the pump

• Sponsors (?)

Mustangs seem to like blowing out waterpumps maybe every 75-100k or so. It's pretty common. How many miles were on yours???

I haven't really seen a butchered water pump install before, So long as you apply fair even torque to all of the bolts, you were likely ok.

As far as gaskets go, I swear there is an all metal gasket in an extra 5.0 engine that I have, but I don't want to take it apart to find out.

Try calling ford racing, and call around, you may be able to get a nice metal gasket.

Other than that, a proper install with the normal auto zone crap should net you years more of use