water pump leaking prob

feifong

Apr 4, 2005
mesa
my water pump is leaking now after installation yea i know im a noob. Now it makes me think what silicone was i supposed to use? How many gaskets does the water pump come with? :bang: different people have told me different silicones i dont know wich one black blue greY??

• Sponsors (?)

Any silicone really will seal it. It only needs one gasket on it. Is the bypass hose going to the waterpump leaking? Are you sure all the bolts are tight? If all of that stuff checks out you may have messed up the gasket and you'll need to get a new gasket.

First of all, did you get all the old gasket materials off the surface of the timing cover and clean it well? Be sure you didn't distort of fold the gasket.

Don't double gasket. Only one gasket by itself. No need to use silicone and the gasket, that causes more problems than not. If you want to use something to make it stick, there are products for this. Some like to use a little adhesive such as 3M Weatherstrip Adheasive a.k.a. "gorrilla snot". I perfer to use the spray on type.

Silicone will work but sometimes it needs time to settle especailly with water. I like grey better than black. You should use a little on the bolts to seal the treads.

Weather silicone or gasket, don't overtorque. You want to tighten them to just past snug. Hold the bottom of the rachet/wrench so your thumb is on/near the bolt and turn it with a firm tug, not hard, just firm, such as when you are turning off the garden hose. Also, tighten from one side to the other, such as the star pattern when bolting on a wheel. Perferably in steps. At first hand tight all the way around, then firm, then finally just past firm.

I turn wrenches for a living, change a lot of waterpumps and such, rarley have to go in twice, but sometimes it does happen.

90mustangGT said:
First of all, did you get all the old gasket materials off the surface of the timing cover and clean it well? Be sure you didn't distort of fold the gasket.

Don't double gasket. Only one gasket by itself. No need to use silicone and the gasket, that causes more problems than not. If you want to use something to make it stick, there are products for this. Some like to use a little adhesive such as 3M Weatherstrip Adheasive a.k.a. "gorrilla snot". I perfer to use the spray on type.

Silicone will work but sometimes it needs time to settle especailly with water. I like grey better than black. You should use a little on the bolts to seal the treads.

Weather silicone or gasket, don't overtorque. You want to tighten them to just past snug. Hold the bottom of the rachet/wrench so your thumb is on/near the bolt and turn it with a firm tug, not hard, just firm, such as when you are turning off the garden hose. Also, tighten from one side to the other, such as the star pattern when bolting on a wheel. Perferably in steps. At first hand tight all the way around, then firm, then finally just past firm.

I turn wrenches for a living, change a lot of waterpumps and such, rarley have to go in twice, but sometimes it does happen.

good post, I agree, One gasket. I use LIGHT black rtv, and snug the bolts evenly, and not too hard. Put some silicone on the bolt threads too, it'll help them from rusting and breaking in the block like what happened to me.

feifong said:
wich side of the water pump does the gasket go on? the side with the backing plate inside or outside?? :bang:

It only fits one way doesn't it???

On the t-stat, there is a indention where the t-stat goes into, the gasket goes on the oppisite side. Sometimes it is good to use some adhesive to get it to stay in place. They love to sneak down once out of your sight.

does it go in inside of the plate or outside ? yes im a noob :hail2:

Attachments

• Picture 206.jpg
    Picture 206.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 60
feifong said:
does it go in inside of the plate or outside ? yes im a noob :hail2:

No, do not take the plate off the w/p. You can either put the gasket on the pump or the timing cover, it really doesn't matter. Pick one. What matters is that you get it between the two correctly.