Water pump time

RAD

Jun 16, 2006
Water pump gave up on me this morning, which one should I order? The car have couple bolt ons but pretty soon will be a H/C/I or Supercharger time so I want one that is high flow to keep it cool but have to fit without a headache. Polished or chrome one will be nice too :D
Also which sealant I should use on the gasket? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not aware that anyone makes a high-flow unit for the 94-95 style. Except for Meiser (sp?) (the electric ones). Mine went last fall and I just bought a reman. one for the local parts place. There is a gasket sealer that is made specifically to resist coolant (its a dark grey color), use an even beed of that on both sides of the gasket. The hardest part is making sure the 14-year-old gasket material is totally gone from the timing cover (PITA).

If you still have original pump on make sure you go easy when taking off the bolts. Especially the ones on the side that go through the timing cover and into the block (behind the tensioner). A lot of people seem to snap the bolts, and then your taking the timing cover off to get to it which is a pain. I took mine off with an air ratchet and put a little too much torque on it and snapped it. Also, when you're putting the bolts back in, be careful as well because the timing cover is aluminum and I ended up shattering the threads on the bolt next to the one I broke off. I never thought replacing a water pump would be so much trouble.

yellowstang94 said:
I never thought replacing a water pump would be so much trouble.
Had a similar expierence. Just make sure what ever water pump you get has enough clearance between the bottom bolt and the crank pulley to get a socket on it. Otherwise, is a PITA.

FlowKooler also makes a pump for our cars, sort of pricey though...