Way off topic!!! Formula 1 Engines!

:OT:

Here is a small quote from "TomsHardware.com"

"Every few years, F1 regulations are adjusted to bring down the horsepower of the car engines. For example, in 1986, F1 cars had turbocharged engines with about 1350 bhp, which was decreased over the years through various mechanisms, such as only allowing normally aspirated engines. In 1995, the engine size was limited to 3.0 liters, which resulted in about 700 bhp. With the help of computers, engines are scratching the 1000 bhp once again this year. Next year, regulations will limit engines to 2.4 liter V8s and result in an estimated output of 730 bhp."

WOW 1000HP from 3.0L (Non-turbo) and 730HP from 2.4L (Non-turbo) I am trying hard to get 300HP out of 5L!

I will also say that their budget is slightly more than my $2500... They spend about $350 Million a year on car and engine design, testing & Production!

WOW is all I can say!

Chad

• Sponsors (?)

Gael said:
Another thing is, they rev their engines to about ~18,000 rpm.

The V10's they run now are in the 19,000 range and the new 8's that Ferrari and Toyota have been working on have been reported to be hiting the +20,000 rpm range. Insane, yes. But not too much different than sport bikes. My '82 Yamaha 750, a cruiser, maxes out at a little over 12,000 and the new sport biker can go as high as 15-20,000, all from a 4 cylinder. I can't imagine riding a sport bike at 20,000 rpm, you would be breaking all legal speed limits in first gear :eek:

DR.M said:
But not too much different than sport bikes. My '82 Yamaha 750, a cruiser, maxes out at a little over 12,000 and the new sport biker can go as high as 15-20,000, all from a 4 cylinder. I can't imagine riding a sport bike at 20,000 rpm, you would be breaking all legal speed limits in first gear :eek:

It's different, because of mass. As reciprocating mass increases, the revving stresses exerted on them increases exponentially. If there isnt much mass, then multiplying the stresses is still a low figure. The 750 bike you mentioned is only .75 liter, or 46 cubic inches.(about the same displacement as one of a V8's cylinders)
That's why many of those little RC gas engines spin up over 40,000 RPM. They're tiny, low mass, easy to rev. Now try making a V8 stay together at over 40,000 RPM, and you have a slightly more difficult(read:impossible) task on your hands. So it is with the current state of metalurgy.
Once we figure out how to grow metals in a 100% unidirectionally grained atomic structure, then we'll see some big revs and power production in reciprocating engines, because the internal components will be so much lighter and stronger.