Weird clicky sound when turning steering wheel

kurv

Founding Member
Feb 16, 2001
Orlando, Florida
Well, I know my suspension is shot.. It squeeks over every bump. However, now when I turn the wheel all the way to the left or the right, it makes like a clicking or binding/bumping sound/feel. Sounds like maybe my power steering is going? Any ideas on what I should check out?

• Sponsors (?)

I can feel it through the wheel.. I can feel the little pop right before I hit the stops on both the left and right turns. Feels like its starting to get worse.. I'm assuming it could be because my springs and shocks are beyond bad.

i wish i knew exactly what it sounded like, my car will kind of chatter a little when i turn the wheel, almost feels/ sounds like pushing your finger on your car hood when its wet and it kind of chatters a little bit, but i dont know if thats similar to what you're experiencing. i believe that its only because my power steering pump is going since its been whining pretty good as ford power steering pumps tend to do with mileage. hope this is no big problem for either of us.

The load on the PS hydraulics are greatest near the locks. Some pumps will start slipping near the locks - it feels like the PS pump is kicking in and out.

Not sure if that relates at all. :Shrug:

Good luck.

I had what sounds like the same noise and it was my lower control arm bushings and my rack mount bushings. For you it might be one or the other because they would both cause you symptoms. Very easy to check, just look under the car and have someone turn the wheel. When it pops you will see what is popping. Especially if it is the rack, it will move (pop) to one side before the wheels move. If you don't see anything, hold individual parts and you'll feel them pop.

The cog spring in my steering wheel started to crunch and bind then it came un spooled. The cog spring or what ever it's called has the wires for the cruse, airbags, horn and it's job is so you can turn the wheel and not hurt the wires.

bjl95mustang said:
The cog spring in my steering wheel started to crunch and bind then it came un spooled. The cog spring or what ever it's called has the wires for the cruse, airbags, horn and it's job is so you can turn the wheel and not hurt the wires.
If anyone does a search about it, it is a clockspring.