weird clunking noise...please help

allenpark94gt

Aug 3, 2003
allen park
well i just got my off road h-pipe installed...now when i take off from a stop....it feels like somethin is "clunking" against the bottom of my floor...only happens on start and then it is fine after....anyone know what this could be?

• Sponsors (?)

mine does it too...its weird after I got my H pipe as well I think. But not everytime its once and a while when I first move my car, it seems it does it more often if I leave my car sitting for a few days not just overnight. Mine sounds like more of a snapping clunking noise, not a deep *clunk*. I dont worry bout it much because it rarely does it. But it would be nice to know what it is.

Does yours do it every complete stop? Or just the VERY first time you move your car...mine does it the very first time I move my car thats the only time it EVER does it and it only does it rarely...anyone have any idea what this is?!

I have the same issue. I thought it was the clutch, but Nope.. It started for awhile and went away and now its back. The noise sounds like a clunking sound but its like two metal pieces clunking against each other. So i thought it might be my drive shaft, or H pipe or even the darn metal hose that connects to the H pipe, it seems like that piece might be hitting the valve or strut tower.
Mine makes the sound everytime I take off.

Anyways, I am replacing my drive shaft this weekend and I am going to Weld my damn H-pipes to to the bottom of the car, Ofcourse its going to be done to where the pipes will be able to un-bolt off. I have had lots of proplems with my H-pipes vibrating. This way I can get rid of these being my problem. I will let you know if any of this fixes my problem.

on mine there was a 1"X1"X2 mm peice of metal coming out of my frame that looked like a cabe was supposed to go through there but there wasnt. Once i got the wider dia. pipe it started making noises but i dont think it s a "clunk". You cant see this peice from under the car, run your hand on top of the pipe untill you hit it.