weird transmission noise

rgs

Dec 11, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
k i was out driving tonight, banged through the first 3 gears from a dig a couple times, and i started to notice a whining sound coming from my tranny. its pretty loud through the first couple gears then it seems to go away quite a bit in the last 2 gears. its louder on decel than acceleration. and also theres been no change in driveability or the overall feeling of the shifter or clutch pedal.

anyone have any ideas?? my thinking at the moment is that the throwout bearing went on me. which i find kinda weird because i put in the king cobra clutch kit within the last year and a new throwout bearing was installed at that time.

• Sponsors (?)

A whine is usually a bad sign. Anytime mine has done that, there's been something worn out in the trans and it was on its last legs. I know it's been explained before on here why it happens with 1-3, but I can't remember why for the life of me.

It happens because 1st, 2nd, and 3rd ride on bearings. 4th a 5th are floating. Bearings for 1-3 might be going. If you drive normal and put it into 1st, 2nd, or 3rd and the noise goes away or gets considerably queieter then its the bearings for those gears because when you shift to a gear the gear is locked to the main shaft so the bearing doesnt make noise. Now if it goes away in 4th or 5th the gear itself or the main shaft could be worn to the point of needing replacement.

Wow! That would actually be awesome. only thing it doesnt have is the reverse synchro. But you normally dont need that anyway. Its usually good. Ummm That would work perfect for you, only problem is you said it gets better or goes away in 4th&5th if thats the case you may need 4th, or 5th, or even the main shaft. Only way to be 100% sure is to open it up and inspect it.

The g-force kit is stronger internals, shift fork tabs, synchro's, bearings, and shift forks, input shaft too i think (I imagine thats all, someone correct me if I am wrong). That of course would be the preffered route, but it would also be more costly. When I have the money however I plan on rebuilding my t5 again and using the g-force kit.