WELL, MECHANIC THINKS HE FOUND MY BLOWER/HEATING PROBLEM

ADRENLN

Apr 16, 2003
NJ
looks like the brand new paxton novi 2000 has a leaky seal. oil is leaking from it. i didnt realize that this could cause major problems with air charge temperture????? he says that once the oil gets real hot and the air blows past it into the inlet pipe of the blower that its creating a super hot air charge which is causing all my problems.

DOES THIS SOUND RIGHT TO YOU GUYS? CAN A LEAKING BLOWER SEAL CAUSE THESE PROBLEMS?

he is going to pull it and send it back to paxton....looks like my project is down for the count for a while.:mad:

i stayed away from a used blower because of this....now i have to deal with it anyway!!!!!!!!!:shrug:

thanks for any input guys....this is the worst!

• Sponsors (?)

A leaky oil seal won't cause a hot air charger. An oil leak could certainly cause detonation because oil has a low octane value.

What exactly was your hot air charge problem? The blower shouldn't be heating the air charge up except when you are in boost and a reasonable front mount will to wonders to reduce the temps.

i didnt even think about it coating my sensor. i dont even think its that bad of a seal leak by what he said. i need to find out more. im not even sure where he found the oil. i know he is just having major temp problems and he thinks its cause of that.

he did day that the inlet temp was 220. he said the top of the intercooler was cool but the bottom was hot. i dont know what that means! where the heck is this leak and how is it possible that it is making the air charge so hot!

i have to pay to send it back to paxton ans then pay to have it sent back when its done. i just have to make sure that this is the reason that the air charge is so hot. although if the blower is leaking i would have to send it out anyway.

i heard of all kinds of people saying that they have seal leaks on blowers but never once have i heard it causing hot air charge temps and tuning problems!

please help me out guys. this build is a disaster for me so far.

from the vt engines closing and me not getting my engine to now with a brand new paxton unit with a seal leak!!!!!! im having no luck. :nonono:

im out of money. i really strapped myself for this whole set up in the first place. now im in trouble with all these extra costs.

for anyone looking at a blower set up, expect the unexpected. i tried to do exerything right and bought all new parts for high dollar, but it still is not working out.

just have some extra cash is all im saying. im in a tight situation now.

Everybody comes on here and says they want a 500rwhp car but they have no idea what it takes. It is a PITA and you better have money and patience. Welcome to the club Adrenalin, most of us blower guys have been where you are. There will always be something so get to know your car very well. Wait til you get it tuned right and get out driving and you start having your first belt slip or belt alignment issues, that's always a fun one. You get to know how to change a belt on a blower car real fast.

holy $hit 220 IAT is HOT. I don't think a leaky blower would cause that though...

+1. You sure your mechanic didn't put the sensor in the wrong place? You're using a separate IAT from the maf, right? Honestly, if you're working with a shop that can't figure out a simple problem like that by looking at the car, I wouldn't want to be dealing with them :notnice:

Good luck getting everything ironed out!

220F would be a normal outlet temperature directly out of the blower, depending on the compressor, boost level and ambient temperatures. What kind of intercooler? If it's an air-air mounted in the front, then the temperatures will vary significantly, depending on how fast you are driving... of in the case of the car being in the shop, if they have a fan blowing on it to simulate speed. On my 2.3, I turned the engine fan on to run at all times to keep airflow moving to keep it from getting heat soaked in traffic. My intercooler is way undersized, but I still get temps of around 110F out of the intercooler while running 20psi.

If the iat gets hot engine oil on it wouldnt it read your oil temp? If oil were to get into your ic wouldnt it puddle on the bottom? I agree, when you put on a blower or something major expect to spend more than it looks like. I had a bunch of tuning issues, faulty granetelli coils that caused my car to miss at high rpms, belt alingment problems, mass air maxing out, it was a nightmare at first. Were you the person debating on what mass air to get? If so which one was it? Good luck. It will all be worth it in the end, mine is.

thanks for the info guys. i have to check into where he put the iat. i went with a blow through setup with the new maf by anderson. (i forget what its called)

i did find out that a lot of oil was pooling at the bottom of the paxton intercooler pipes. so i guess that is what he was saying was heating the air charge.

does it make sense?

well, i dont know if that was what was causing the aircharge temp problems, but it seems like a good amount of oil pooling in the intercooler pipes on the bottom could heat the air a bit.

so anyway, the blower is off the car and the novi is back at paxton. they are replacing the seal under warrenty. i just have to pay for the shipping there and back. also a little labor for pulling it out and cleaning everything up. they have to clean the intercooler of the oil.

so once everything comes back we will get it put together and see how it does.

i cant believe there was a bad seal on a brand new paxton. my mechanic says it happens though:shrug:

ADRENLN:

The PCV tubing connection on the intake is not a contributor (yet) but you might want to add a catchpot in the PCV tubing. Steeda makes one or you can make your own using air compressor accessory parts, lol. When you see the picture of the Steeda pot, you'll see what I mean. The little pot will help to reduce the amount of oil entering the throttle body and intake.

While the blower is off the car, you may want to wash the intercooler out with some dish detergent (Dawn is good for cutting oil) and water (several times) and then blow it out with a leaf blower. If the oil is not cleaned out, then one side of your cooler will be fouled and the air will not be cooled as much as if the surface was clean (trust me).

GL with the new seal(s). Post back with an update, please.

HTH,

Chris