What Are Decent Fox's Selling For

danny g

Founding Member
Sep 23, 1999
It's been a long time since I trolled this site. Sold my 96 gt 7 years ago and my recent attempt to purchase back failed. I really want a mustang again and always loved the 87 - 93 gt verts. Especially the 90-93 models. So KBB says a good private party 93 gt vert with 100k miles goes for $4200. If the condition actually is good I could see that price. But alot of the ones I see are in really sad shape and people are asking top dollar. Looks like according to Ebay a great condition example with 25k miles would got for 8 - 10k. middle of the road maybe 4 - 5k and the junkers dont seem to sell. Is this about right? What would you pay for an average 90 -93 gt vert with 100k plus miles that will pass an inspection. I am thinking around 4k.

• Sponsors (?)

I will never own another Conv. But KBB is not a fair assesment of value on anything. Fact is an item is worth whatever the buyer is willing to pay for it. So your area is going to be different than mine. I live neer Fort Bragg NC. and most of the 18-26 yr old kids want a lowered Honda with neons, fart pipe and a shopping cart handle on the back. I can get a decent 5.0 Fox for $4000 (Hatchback) I find the H/B's and coupes are more desireable in my area and the Convertables seem to stack up and be for sale for a long time. At least until some Daddy wants to get one for his cheer leader daughter.:jester:

I bought mine about 2 1/2 weeks ago off a guy in Hilton Head, SC. I gave $6k for it which I felt was fair. It does need some mechanical work done on it but the body is straight, paint looks good, interior is all there and in good shape, and the top is only about 1 year old. Plus it already has the cobra brake and 5 lug conversion done on it. I've been looking for an LX coupe for a while and most of them were asking $4k-$6k and they were pretty rough. I don't know why people hack on these cars so much. Removing the A/C or mounting those monster tachs on the dash. I wasn't really looking for a convertible but I felt the price was right.

Thanks for the replies. Thats about what I figured they would be around. I would get a gt hatch or lx notch as well. But always had my eye on the vert. Not interested in going too fast anymore. Just want something for crusing/weekend driving. I plan on getting something that needs a little mechanical work and mild restoration. From what I see something and your replies 4-6k for decent shape needing a little work is the ballpark. Its amazing how many crappy ones are out there with ugly hoods, wings, lights, gauges all over. Jeez....I prefer the stock look and think most others do as well. Seems the stock style ones sell for alot more anyways.

I know what you mean. Some of the hack jobs I've seen just make me ill. I like the stock look the best. I do like some of the more tasteful mods. Nothing too extreme. You pretty much described what I had been looking for before I found this one. I didn't want a race car. Just a nice, clean, daily driver. My advice is to make sure the convertible top is in good shape. The can get pretty pricey to have replaced. Good luck and keep us posted

I wouldn't sell mine for any less then 7k. And mine kind of falls into the OP's category. I built it, interior is stock and has no flaws really except for a slightly worn driver seat. Engine just has exhaust and a cobra intake but other then that everything else is stock. I just painted it so the paint is new. Really if someone were to buy it, all you gotta do is Register/title it, and drive it. Everything else is new.

to find a clean unmolested one the price seems to be around $5000 +/-.

i just picked up a 87 LX conv. with all original paint with 68,000 miles on it for $5000. when i was looking real low mileage ones were going for 8-10 grand. a lot of stuff priced between $4000-$6000 but a lot of guys are asking that much for junk. be picky and get the cleanest one you can fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly the best thing you can do is hop on good ol craigslist. They are worth what you can or will buy them for. In SC they are much cheaper than the coupes. The good thing about the verts is they aren't rednecked up like a lot of the other foxes.

I wouldn't sell mine for any less then 7k. And mine kind of falls into the OP's category. I built it, interior is stock and has no flaws really except for a slightly worn driver seat. Engine just has exhaust and a cobra intake but other then that everything else is stock. I just painted it so the paint is new. Really if someone were to buy it, all you gotta do is Register/title it, and drive it. Everything else is new.
Let's be fare though. If you were shopping for a Mustang, what would you pay for one like yours?

bought my 92 vert in January. needs work but at 800 bucks i can accept that. probably have 2000 more into it before it is done. so 3k ish...? they are out there if you want to wrench a little.

here- http://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/3159136536.html

you would think when selling a car the seller would take at least one good picture of the car being sold. what a horrible ad and even worse pictures. whats wrong with people? its not like writing up an ad is rocket science or anything.

you would think when selling a car the seller would take at least one good picture of the car being sold. what a horrible ad and even worse pictures. whats wrong with people? its not like writing up an ad is rocket science or anything.

For some of these cars less info is better. The seller knows there are a ton of issues. Good pictures would prob reveal some bodywork. They figure someone will see the ad and hope for the best. When they come take a look at the car they will negotiate. Otherwise no one will even bother to go take a look.

Also, whats up with guys collecting a whole bunch of these and leaving them outside to rot. Why do they need three crappy ones. Cant they just buy one and spend their resources on making it nice again. I sold my 96gt to a guy on Long island that was like this. He had a fox vert, fox gt, and a iroc camaro. All of them looked driveable but not good shape. Then he added my 96 gt to his "collection".

he even writes obo after a 1600 price, you could haggle that down to nothing and as long as the major stuff checks out still come away with a steal. he expects to get less. or you can pay 6500+ and maybe avoid someone elses problem. but i doubt it, they are all 20+ years old, every one of them has its little things.

Also, whats up with guys collecting a whole bunch of these and leaving them outside to rot. Why do they need three crappy ones. Cant they just buy one and spend their resources on making it nice again. I sold my 96gt to a guy on Long island that was like this. He had a fox vert, fox gt, and a iroc camaro. All of them looked driveable but not good shape. Then he added my 96 gt to his "collection".
even in the bad pics it does not look too bad, granted you might get 5 feet out and run back to your vehicle. BUT it is what you wanted and the little crap he listed is nothing to fix. if it were me i would go look and nit pick the whole thing if it was worth buying and offer way less. or turn and walk away if it was junk.

From the pic it looks like an lx. Really looking for a gt vert. 90 - 93. Or is it 91-93 that has the fender extension? Plus I am looking for white or black. mainly white. And definitely no red interior. Yeah....that narrows things down. But they did make TON of these things. Not gonna rush. I bet i will find something decent in a month if i watch ebay and CL closely.

From the pic it looks like an lx. Really looking for a gt vert. 90 - 93. Or is it 91-93 that has the fender extension? Plus I am looking for white or black. mainly white. And definitely no red interior. Yeah....that narrows things down. But they did make TON of these things. Not gonna rush. I bet i will find something decent in a month if i watch ebay and CL closely.
theres a white one i looked at in detroit... i hate white. red, i like red. so red i got. and it was a gt, i like the lx look better, but not the lx prices. different strokes for different folks. but they are out there