what causes oil consumption??

yeska68

May 2, 2002
Oakland ca
What can be some of the causes of fast oil consumptio? i have no oil leak but about every two weeks i have to put in two quarts of oil. what can be some causes of this? :shrug: everytime i turn my car on alot of smoke comes out of the exhaust but after it warms up.... no more smoke. this problem seems to be getting worse.
289-2v-allstock-coupe

• Sponsors (?)

You could A, have completely shot piston rings, or B have bad valve seals which is probably more likely your problem, quick easy fix, just pull a valve cover, remove the rocker arms, get a small spring compressor and remove your valve springs, then replace your seals and your good to go.

Mike

my66coupe said:
You could A, have completely shot piston rings, or B have bad valve seals which is probably more likely your problem, quick easy fix, just pull a valve cover, remove the rocker arms, get a small spring compressor and remove your valve springs, then replace your seals and your good to go.

Mike

Just don't let the valves fall into the cylinders when you remove the spring retainers! :lol: :lol: Yes, it can happen!

Woops sorry about forgetting that part, I did the same thing 6stang7 said, This would also be a good time, to check for any particular leaks, If you feel alot of air coming out the breather, you may have bad rings, if it comes out your exhaust it may be your exhaust valve and carb may be your intake, Your going to need enough air, that when you hook up the line to the spark plug port, it will drop the piston to BDC. Good luck

Mike