What could leak under lash?

jay90GT302

Mar 2, 2008
What could leak under dash?

Every couple times I drive my car, I get out and see a black stain on my pants at the right shin, that looks like oil or grease. Whats leaking under my dash? Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

There's no aftermarket gauges, the only thing I can add worth noting is i know the previous owner took the dash out to do a heater core job and that my speedo needle is constantly jumping around.

The brake pedal in my explorer rubs up again the inside of my right sneaker (accerator foot).
Took me like a year to figure out all my new right foot nike's were turning black on the instep.

Are you losing any brake fluid? I have had customers that have had their booster fill up with brake fluid leaking out the back of the master cylinder and had it drip down on their leg.

Like the others have stated, it can only be a small number of things leaking on the left side of the dash.

1. Most likely, since you said you were having issues with your speedometer cable, is that something is malfunctioning causing transmission fluid/oil to wick up the speedometer cable into the back of the gauge cluster. Remove the instrument panel and check fitment of the cable as well as the connection at the drivers side rear end of the transmission for any mis-alignment or damage to the speedometer cable itself.

2. Mechanical gauges, which you said that you do not have installed. Anyone else with this problem will want to check these first, as a mechanical oil pressure gauge for example has a hose with pressurized oil coming into the back of the gauge. If you for sure don't have any mechanical gauges installed, don't worry about this one.

3. The brake master cylinder/booster could possibly be leaking near the pedal. Look around the base of the brake pedal while pressing the brake pedal for any fluid leakage to test, or you could also monitor your brake fluid level over time. If this were to be the case, the entire system can be removed rather easily. Disconnect the brake lines from the master cylinder (don't drip fluid on your paint!!!) and disconnect any vacuum/electrical connections from the master cylinder/brake booster. Then remove the (4) 9/16" (I think) nuts from the interior firewall near the pedal assembly, and simply pull the entire brake booster on out through the engine compartment. Replacements can be found in junkyards/ebay pretty easily.

Let me know if you have any questions.

-KB