What did I do now? Ringing and smoking..

Polter83

Jul 27, 2004
Well.. I dont know if a ****ed something up bad or not.. but maybe you guys can shed some light...this is a 302..
Had a lean condition, especially 2k-4k
Had a burnt MAF pigtail, removed that section and reconnected the harness. Installed a straight shot filter, incase the bends of a fenderwell were messing with the sensor. Bumped the fuel psi up.
Going down the road about 2-3 miles and then I get on it.. and I hear a ringing, kinda like if someone rings a little brass bell. It was loud. I thought if screwed the trans, maybe I did. So I pull over and retard the timing down 2deg. incase it was detonation (..which I dont think ive heard before..) then I continue down and the exhaust gets real bad sounding so i pull over again.. open the hood and the dipstick is smoking. Open the oil fill neck, and its smoking. Then I realize the fuel vacuum line is still plugged and not connected to the regulator. Then I must have left the distributor pill out after I changed the timing when I heard that ringing. After I hooked everything back up, and quadrouple checked that I did have oil (just changed it like 50miles ago)..then it started acting like its normal self.. I hope I didnt mess up permanent.. any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

anyone have an idea of what could have taken place in that motor for the dipstick to smoke? Im assuming something got too hot. I did install 4qts of 10w30 and 1qt lucas...any ideas.