Engine What engine oil are you running in your foxbody?

Amsoil full synthetic and their high-end filters in everything for almost 20 years here - I change the oil once a year whether it needs it or not...
When I switched the Mustang at around 140k miles I dumped their cleaner in the crankcase with the old oil and a new Wix filter, ran it per instructions, that new filter weighed two or three times what it did full of clean oil, and the old oil was pitch black. Right away it smoothed out a bit and ran a little cooler.
Up until about 2017 I was putting 12 to 15,000 mi a year on it driving it like I stole it, when I changed the oil each year it barely looked used.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Amsoil full synthetic and their high-end filters in everything for almost 20 years here - I change the oil once a year whether it needs it or not...
When I switched the Mustang at around 140k miles I dumped their cleaner in the crankcase with the old oil and a new Wix filter, ran it per instructions, that new filter weighed two or three times what it did full of clean oil, and the old oil was pitch black. Right away it smoothed out a bit and ran a little cooler.
Up until about 2017 I was putting 12 to 15,000 mi a year on it driving it like I stole it, when I changed the oil each year it barely looked used.
Do you run 5w30 or 10w30, thinking I might try some Amsoil signature series 5w30 oil next oil change. With the oem Motorcraft oil filter. Or maybe the highmilage 5w30 .
Screenshot_20231216_124541_Samsung Internet.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231216_165726_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20231216_165726_Samsung Internet.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Do you run 5w30 or 10w30, thinking I might try some Amsoil signature series 5w30 oil next oil change. With the oem Motorcraft oil filter. Or maybe the highmilage 5w30 .
Screenshot_20231216_124541_Samsung Internet.jpg
The 5W-20 that their website recommends, Signature Series. If you're running it hard or in cold weather you may want a different weight, I'm in Tampa FL and have little/no reason to drive this vert up into real winter... When I was road warrior-ing it I would need to add maybe 1/2qt after 6-7 months, no leaks or smoke though - not bad for over 200k miles at this point.

For those of you that are into nostalgia, I came across my consumer reports from July 1996. How’s that for old school. lol

In said issue, they conducted tests using various brands of motor oil in an effort to determine which was the “best” during that time period.

Pretty neat that the 90-93 Fox was on the front cover and again inside the insert. That’s why I kept this issue and decided to send to you all. Fun memorable stuff..

If anyone is interested, see attached screen shots and read what consumers found back in those days.
IMG_1587.jpeg
IMG_1588.jpeg
IMG_1589.jpeg
IMG_1590.jpeg
IMG_1591.jpeg
IMG_1592.jpeg
IMG_1593.jpeg
IMG_1594.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users
For those of you that are into nostalgia, I came across my consumer reports from July 1996. How’s that for old school. lol

In said issue, they conducted tests using various brands of motor oil in an effort to determine which was the “best” during that time period.

Pretty neat that the 90-93 Fox was on the front cover and again inside the insert. That’s why I kept this issue and decided to send to you all. Fun memorable stuff..

If anyone is interested, see attached screen shots and read what consumers found back in those days.
IMG_1587.jpeg
IMG_1588.jpeg
IMG_1589.jpeg
IMG_1590.jpeg
IMG_1591.jpeg
IMG_1592.jpeg
IMG_1593.jpeg
IMG_1594.jpeg
Wow, what a blast from the past! Thanks for sharing.

I have a personal hatred for 'quickie' oil change places, 'the girl' used to get her car done at a 'mom & pop' oil change place because it was in walking distance from her job at the time. She paid for the higher end synthetic oil and they just stuck the cheapest crap they had in and it plugged up the engine, found out too late, they closed up before I could drive that junk through their front door. WalMart is in the top five places not to go, I've seen too many trashed engines from simple mistakes.
I also refuse to use Castrol oil of any kind but that's just me.

Reactions: 1 users
After years of swinging wrenches in a dealership I started a career doing outside service and travel. It kills me to use a "quick lube" place every time.
Not my truck, not my money but it is so hard to watch! Have some pride ...

IMG_1587.jpeg
IMG_1588.jpeg
IMG_1589.jpeg
IMG_1590.jpeg
IMG_1591.jpeg
IMG_1592.jpeg
IMG_1593.jpeg
IMG_1594.jpeg
Thanks so much for posting this, great info on there.

I had some buddies that worked quick lube placed when we were in our early 20s

I could tell you some stories. It’s probably why I still change my own oil into my 40s

Reactions: 4 users
I had some buddies that worked quick lube placed when we were in our early 20s

I could tell you some stories. It’s probably why I still change my own oil into my 40s
Change my own and I am in my late 60's.... I know what I use, I know how much goes in, I know the filter and drain plug are tight...

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I also refuse to use Castrol oil of any kind but that's just me.
In the middle 70's, the service station I worked at through HS and early college was a pennzoil dealer....
Seemed as if alot of the cars we maintained were burning oil ( blue smoke from exhaust)
We changed them over to Castrol and they stopped smoking... No " bob the oil guy" stats here, just saying cause I saw it..
My sisters V6 mustang II, same story..... Pennzoil to Castrol and no more blue smoke....
European formula 0-40 is what is recommended in my BMW V8....... Castrol is on the list... Its what I use in it and looking down the oil fill hole, its spotless inside..........
DSCF0119.JPG

Last edited:
I the middle 70's, the service station I worked at through HS and early college was a pennzoil dealer....
Seemed as if alot of the cars we maintained were burning oil ( blue smoke from exhaust)
We changed them over to Castrol and they stopped smoking... No " bob the oil guy" stats here, just saying cause I saw it..
My sisters V6 mustang II, same story.....
European formula 0-40 is what is recommended in my BMW V8....... Castrol is on the list... Its what I use in it and looking down the oil fill hole, its spotless inside..........
DSCF0119.JPG
I wasn't implying Castrol was not any good, it's actually a good oil, as I said it's just a personal thing.

What's with the Pennzoil hate? Everything I search on it is just playing up sludging issues from the 70's? What's wrong with the modern formations? I run the Pennzoil platnium on my Traverse because a lot of guys on the Traverse forums have been doing oil analysis and the best results have been with that particular oil.

Reactions: 1 users
What's with the Pennzoil hate? Everything I search on it is just playing up sludging issues from the 70's? What's wrong with the modern formations? I run the Pennzoil platnium on my Traverse because a lot of guys on the Traverse forums have been doing oil analysis and the best results have been with that particular oil.
I expressed my experience with Pennzoil from WAY back..... I hope they improved it.. Personally I switched to other brands that worked better so no reason to go back to what wasn't working....