What gear to start a burnout????

Silly34 said:
All the street tires I've tried it on just spin and spin, they never hook. But I guess its all based on the compound of the tire, doesn't hurt to try (except maybe your e.t.).

B.
if you want to tell everyone how its done you better have the times to back it up is all i'm saying.

• Sponsors (?)

awwyea said:
You can kiss your brakes goodbye if you do too many burnouts without a linelock kit.

Nothing blows more than flying down the track and hitting the brakes and nobody's home...I saw it at the track a few years ago. A kid did too many burnouts w/o linelock in his 97 GT and ended up in the sand pit at the end of the track.
another one?????? please buddy:rolleyes:, i have a couple hundred passes on my car and still have plenty of pad left on my brakes.:nonono:

awwyea said:
You can kiss your brakes goodbye if you do too many burnouts without a linelock kit.

Nothing blows more than flying down the track and hitting the brakes and nobody's home...I saw it at the track a few years ago. A kid did too many burnouts w/o linelock in his 97 GT and ended up in the sand pit at the end of the track.

This doesn't make sense. Unless he busted a line and leaked fluid. The worst I could imagine would be brake fade but I doubt this too.

B.

A line lock is prefered and just plain easier and safer to do a burnout. All you may do to your brakes is glaze the rear pads and put a lot of heat into the rears which could cause them to fade which isn't really all that bad but I like to keep stress of the parts when it's not really necessary.

As far as losing traction with a burnout...as I stated earlier OVERHEATING the tire will cause a loss in traction as the tires are operating well out of their range, it's physics and proven. A small burnout to put some heat into them and to clean them off WILL help traction. I know that when I burn mine for a few secs that they get sticky enough that they feel like fly paper, if I were to over do it then the compound would lose it's adhesion to itself and come apart causing a loss in taction. Stay out of the water too. . .

I really started a war here, didn't I. It seems that everyone has thier own interpretation on how to get thier best 60' times. As a fact, I drag race professionally and posted this to see if I could get any input or opinions from guys that raced the same car as I just bought 3 months ago.. I only made 5 passes with my car, so I will figure the temperature that the tires need to get to get the best traction off the line. I did run the car with 1st gear burnouts with barely any smoke. Spun like crazy with a 2.376 60'. Then I tried the 2nd gear burnout and brought it down to a 2.108 60'. I seriously think that is close to the best those Kumho 712's are going to take me.

reeber said:
I really started a war here, didn't I. It seems that everyone has thier own interpretation on how to get thier best 60' times. As a fact, I drag race professionally and posted this to see if I could get any input or opinions from guys that raced the same car as I just bought 3 months ago.. I only made 5 passes with my car, so I will figure the temperature that the tires need to get to get the best traction off the line. I did run the car with 1st gear burnouts with barely any smoke. Spun like crazy with a 2.376 60'. Then I tried the 2nd gear burnout and brought it down to a 2.108 60'. I seriously think that is close to the best those Kumho 712's are going to take me.
Then I tried the 2nd gear burnout and brought it down to a 2.108 60'. I seriously think that is close to the best those Kumho 712's are going to take me.

i doubt it. when you start believing you can only cut 60's as good as most front wheel drive cars then you should give up. i already posted that there is a guy on here that pulls low 1.9s and he is in an auto bolt on vert on those tires. on a poorly prepped track i was pulling low 2.0s the first day i got them