What heads are these?

The Green GT

No 13 year olds are safe around me.
10 Year Member
Jan 8, 2006
Louisiana
I have a buddy who got a '94 Mustang with a 302. It was a V6 but the guy who did it pretty much did a horrible job at putting in a carbed 302 so he pulled the engine and tranny this weekend. This is the marking on the heads.
4k23
E5AE - CA
3VA3

And heres a pic.

I think they are E7's

The guy told him they were 351W heads. And my buddy doesnt know much about Fords. lol

• Sponsors (?)

Not sure how to read the entire code to see what they came off of. But, the only year a Mustang used those heads was 1985. But like I said, they can be off of a bunch of different cars.

BTW, he may have removed them from a 351 as well. :D

"E5AE" = "E5" = 1985 "A" = Torino (or mid-size car) "E" = Engine Part. The theory that they could have come from any of Ford's product line is correct. These heads could have been built anywhere between late 1984 through (sometime in) 1987, when the "E7" heads made it to the engine plants. They most certainly could have come from a 351w, as Ford used the same heads on the 302 as the 351, starting in 1978. (They all sucked, equally.) The other casting numbers that you gave are prolly production or plant ID numbers.

See this link: http://www.classicmustang.com/decoding_part_numbers.htm

These are some really sucky heads that really aren't worth the head gaskets that somebody wasted, putting them on. The only "good" early Ford Windsor heads were the "C0OE" 351w heads. I think the modern GT40/GT40P heads are way better than those. (Except for the giant combustion chambers in the GT40's.)