What Heads / Cam To Buy?

20151207_190500.jpg
Items pictured came to just over 4,000 bucks, now you may be substituting certain parts with others that may be less money or reusing parts, I decided that if I had to take it off I was replacing it, this way everything went together like it should and I wouldn't be pulling it all back apart due to a failure.
My mechanic says i should stay with 1.6 roller rockers and possibly upgrade fuel injectors. I see the pic there you have a water pump upgrade? Is that a good idea with H/C/I?

• Sponsors (?)

I moved up to 24lb injectors, some may argue stock is fine or recommend 30lb. My water pump had 100,000 miles on it so I replaced it since it was coming off along with a new aluminum 3 row radiator, I wanted to make sure it would stay nice and cool.

My mechanic says i should stay with 1.6 roller rockers and possibly upgrade fuel injectors. I see the pic there you have a water pump upgrade? Is that a good idea with H/C/I?

Cancel that order and get a new mechanic buddy. There are way better OTS options and you are less than $100 away from a custom grind. You don't need anything but a sock replacement water pump.

The only thing I know about the f cam is it was designed in the early stages of 5.0 racing, it's the 3/4 race cam of the 90's.
Think about it, old technology, where something worked 25 years ago because it was the latest technology, technology evolves, your mechanic likely has not evolved, ask him if a duel pattern cam would help you with torque down low and if he says huh? or I don't know then get a new mechanic, or better yet learn for your self.
I did and still am, though I probably had a head start on you.

20151207_190500.jpg
Items pictured came to just over 4,000 bucks, now you may be substituting certain parts with others that may be less money or reusing parts, I decided that if I had to take it off I was replacing it, this way everything went together like it should and I wouldn't be pulling it all back apart due to a failure.
The only thing I know about the f cam is it was designed in the early stages of 5.0 racing, it's the 3/4 race cam of the 90's.
Think about it, old technology, where something worked 25 years ago because it was the latest technology, technology evolves, your mechanic likely has not evolved, ask him if a duel pattern cam would help you with torque down low and if he says huh? or I don't know then get a new mechanic, or better yet learn for your self.
I did and still am, though I probably had a head start on you.

Had no knowledge whatsoever until I bought my gt a few months ago. I'm in a weird situation because this guys really helping me out installing this stuff for cheap so he's trying to do what he knows he will do best. Y'all really think I should cancel it? I'll be honest I'm not looking to squeeze every bit of power possible. I just want to upgrade the power train a little and work towards a blower or something later down the road.

I absolutely think you should cancel it. There are cams that will make the same or more power and have much better drivability and cost the same or less. Look up F cam drivability and that should give you an idea of why not to run that cam. I understand that your friend wants to help but what difference does it make if you ask him to install something else.

Last edited:
Cancel that order, and I'll send you my TFS1 cam and a set of new roller lifters I never used as well for a better deal than that F cam. Ask Jersey Joe how he likes the Trickflow cam. I have no use for it, and you can save some money by taking it off my hands.

Reactions: 2 users
I've never owned a letter cam so I really can't offer an opinion on it, but it seems they are of an older design, as mentioned I do have the TFS 1 cam, for me it's everything I wanted with my combo, it idles all day long with no problem, it sounds aggressive and has had great street manners and will scream when needed.