What ifs.......

StangCollecter

Founding Member
Dec 6, 1999
Niles Illinois
Ford has dumped tons of cash into the Shelby GT500 project, and in turn rumors have been rampant about them dropping other special editions such as Bullet, Mach, etc.....

Back in 1984, Ford got some of the biggest gearheads together along with some highly paid turbocharger experts, and developed the SVO by (also) dumping millions into it. Which coincidentally ended up being a hodgepodge mix of Factory and Aftermarket parts.

What if Ford went out and hired a few amature (yet talented) people to develop a new specialty Mustang based on mostly stock Ford parts from the entire world parts bin. I think if they did this and gave them the stipulation that;

A. The vehicle would need to be production feasible 100%
B. The vehicle would be shown as a show car only if it was too radical or if public reaction was low, and nothing done with it.

I think as long as they found the right people, they would have a low budget hit.

Instead of doing the typical deal of dumping tons of cash into a project that was thought up by one person and approved by countless people, let some real world people develop a real specialty stang.

Of course I had to add this part, but here are a couple of examples of what I would do.

A new SVO
First, I would fit the largest rotors in the parts bin, and Aftermarket 6 piston front and 4 piston rear aliuminum calipers. Then I would set those off with 18 inch Magnesium wheels. This would be in addition to the new Koni Dual mode shocks and struts (OE on Gallardo).
Then I would call up FPV and get their 300 hp turbo inline six, and tune it to a little more and mate it to a tremec 6 speed. Would also add a FMIC.
Then I would get the car before sound deadening, and put one thin layer of insulation under the carpet, with non power aftermarket racing seats and move the (hurst) shifter to the left and the handbrake to the right. The seats and doors would have matching center sections (synthetic suede or something)
Finally I would use fiberglass to replace the hood front fenders and trunklid. Actually I could source Carbon parts for a little more but from China and I am not sure how that would fly.
So, there it is, a lighter tighter more aural turbo mustang that possibly might cost about the same as a GT with a few options. As long as the engine is built to handle it, it could be a boost controller away from 400-450 hp.

A BOSS V10
This one is a bit more complicated, and would have Shelby involved to make it ok that it is more powerful than the GT500.
Take the Modular Triton V10 block and bare heads, dumping everything else.
Put in a Billet crank & cams and forged pistons and rods. I would send the engine to cosworth and have them develop the parts to make it rev to about 7500 and make 550 hp, complete with a individual throttle body intake. Of course the same tremec 6 speed as the SVO.
Then I would use a revised IRS from a different model with beefed up axles and diff. Again the suspension would be upgraded shocks springs, etc.
To lighten the car, I would use magnesium extrusions to replace the front radiaor support door reinforcements etc, and the entire body would be carbon fiber except the top half of the rear fenders (and obviously bumpers).
The fenders would be just a hair wider than the 05 show cars, there would be no rear wing, just a diffuser under the rear and a smoothed belly pan. The interior would be spartan with a 4 speaker stereo system and bare carbon panels on dash, doors and center console.
This of course would probably need to sell for about 100k or more, but if they looked at it more as a Z06 competitor, it could be done for less. Not sure how many would sell but it would be sweet. If it were to sell for about 15k over the Shelby, it would sell pretty well.

Before you start into me about the cost of developing these things, I actually work in the industry and know how much Cosworth charges for such things, and how much it costs to develop it in house as opposed to sourcing it from vendors. If I had the capital to do it myself as a limited run of specialty cars (like shelby's own GT and V6 versions) and had deposits (not to use towards costs but to show parts makers it will sell), I could develop both for under 1.5million combined including all costs except EPA certification, which may be able to be bipassed with a low production waiver.

Considering Ford spent more than that on developing the IRS for the current car (think about that for a minute) I think it would be more wise for them to do it more like this than the traditional way, like when they spent tens of millions building and equiping the "Ford GT" facility only to produce it for a couple of years and have no successor.

Any thoughts? i know some of you will comment on how they can not just hire a bunch of amatures and let them loose, or how they can't do something else I stated..... I can't convince everyone of everything, so I'm not game for an argument. but it's fine if you need to tell me I am wrong or dumb.

Otherwise tell me what you think or what you would do.

• Sponsors (?)

great ideas.. i just think any r&d is going to cost more than your thinking... i mean i dont believe they are going to do any project cars like the ones you have mentioned for any price that will be worth it. the inline turbo 6 will have too much weight to pull in a new mustang (imo) and ford doesnt have the money to do a venture like this right now. they are busy dumping money into Jaguar for the new XK series and a supposed X series upgrade. Ford has had lousy sales this last year, and a lackluster in sales means less money for R&D.... all this being said... i think that shelby could come aside ford and do all this for a decent price as an aftermarket option... a few more model options for the mustang would be interesting

Sanctus said:
great ideas.. i just think any r&d is going to cost more than your thinking... i mean i dont believe they are going to do any project cars like the ones you have mentioned for any price that will be worth it. the inline turbo 6 will have too much weight to pull in a new mustang (imo) and ford doesnt have the money to do a venture like this right now. they are busy dumping money into Jaguar for the new XK series and a supposed X series upgrade. Ford has had lousy sales this last year, and a lackluster in sales means less money for R&D.... all this being said... i think that shelby could come aside ford and do all this for a decent price as an aftermarket option... a few more model options for the mustang would be interesting

I understand the current situation Ford is in better than most, this is why I brought it up (that it could be done with less).

Like I said I work in the industry and know what it'd take to do it internally, and what it'd take to do it with vendors.....

I don't think the inline six would be any more than an iron V8 block (still using iron in the GT right?)

Bringing up the Jaguar is an interesting point. There is a cat that has turned fat and lazy.

If there is any car that should be a real hard core super performance car, that is it. Look at the heritage. The Company was crap until they came out with the XK120, then they went to the E-type and then whittled the company down to nothing after that with boring and underperforming "performance" cars. Damn things have not even had a manual trans in them for years now.

There is a car that needs a complete make-over, starting with the bare chasis and adding in a highly strung inline six and a manual 6 speed and low weight. And it should start under 60k. But what am I thinking, it's not like they want it to be successful or anything.

I'm thinking of a 400 hp 2800 lb coupe with 19s and 20s and a top end of 165 (geared to reach it really quickly though).

ahhh well.

StangCollecter said:
If there is any car that should be a real hard core super performance car, that is it. Look at the heritage. The Company was crap until they came out with the XK120, then they went to the E-type and then whittled the company down to nothing after that with boring and underperforming "performance" cars. Damn things have not even had a manual trans in them for years now.

they have manual transmissons availible... just good luck finding one ;) haha but they do exist. saw one just today

Sanctus said:
they have manual transmissons availible... just good luck finding one ;) haha but they do exist. saw one just today

May have been a conversion, which runs about 9000 just for parts minus the trans itself. Some company in Germany makes it.

I went with a friend who was looking to buy a new one a few years back and I asked the sales manager, he said it was not offered in manual. Plus I have looked for them, never found one.

i was talking about the X series at least... in the 2002 3.0 they made some... im refering to a jan 2004 issue i just re-read of road and track... haha so maby they dont make them in the last two-three years.. my sources are out of date... haha

Sanctus said:
i was talking about the X series at least... in the 2002 3.0 they made some... im refering to a jan 2004 issue i just re-read of road and track... haha so maby they dont make them in the last two-three years.. my sources are out of date... haha

oh, I was talking about their "sports" car the XK series. Even the 390 hp XKR was auto-only.

I like Your Ideas!!! :D
The SVO idea sounds Sweet! I would defintely be willing to pay extra cash to play around in an SVO!

The BOSS V10 sounds like a Monster!!! I like the idea of using Carbon Fiber as the Main Material; what you described would look AWESOME!!! :nice:

And I also agree that Ford has been slipping with their Jaguar Ventures. :nonono:

Reign696 said:
I like Your Ideas!!! :D
The SVO idea sounds Sweet! I would defintely be willing to pay extra cash to play around in an SVO!

The BOSS V10 sounds like a Monster!!! I like the idea of using Carbon Fiber as the Main Material; what you described would look AWESOME!!! :nice:

And I also agree that Ford has been slipping with their Jaguar Ventures. :nonono:

lol, thanks, wanna leave a deposit on a V10 boss? :D

Ford has done wonders with Jaguar. Jaguar has been acting like it has been lead by a hungry retard in a candy store.

First, they turned quality around to acceptable levels, mainly by the help of Ford.

Second they invest billions into a racing program, which fails miserably.

Third, Instead of getting back to their roots with luxury sedans and sports cars, they try to downsize the company with the S-type and X-type both based upon ford products. The X-type is actually based upon a Contour, and I believe the S-type was from the Lincoln LS. The contour as a base for a jaguar? That ought to do wonders for their strong resale values.....

They shoud have gotten a team together of the best of the best at all of Ford and have them work 50% on a new Sports car and XJ sedan (and 50% on their existing projects). Instead of dumping all that cash into racing they should have went into LeMans with private teams. Instead of the X and S types, they should have stuck with what they had, and made that successful before adding two slightly successful(?) products to 2 unsuccessful ones.

Then right now I think we would be seeing a supercar, a super sedan and the XK would be a world class performer and selling well to boot.

Look at Aston Martin. They didn't go and offer a 4 door right off the bat, they didn't go down market. First they made the DB7, which was only a success due to it's design. Then with the cash influx from ford the very first thing they did was develop the Vanquish, to take what they had and elevate it to a new level. The Vanquish was actually using the same platform as the upcoming DB9 and AMV8, so it's not like they made 3 completely new cars. The DB7 came out in 1997, which was based upon the Jag XK, so even then it was being helped by ford. But instead of running and making a bunch of new products, they stayed with that one car improving it steadily.

Now we are seeing AM come down market to compete with Porsche, only after becoming more successful than they have ever been in their entire history.

Racing? Yes they are doing it with the help of vendors and private teams. Therefore they are not taking on the entire financial burden of development and construction costs.

sorry to go so far off topic, but talking about Jaguar gets me going because it is a company rich in heritage, and it is being wasted every day they do not go back to their real roots. Luxury cars never made Jaguar.

StangCollecter said:
Third, Instead of getting back to their roots with luxury sedans and sports cars, they try to downsize the company with the S-type and X-type both based upon ford products. The X-type is actually based upon a Contour, and I believe the S-type was from the Lincoln LS. The contour as a base for a jaguar? That ought to do wonders for their strong resale values.....

wasnt it based off the mondeo? hmmm :shrug: