WHat is going on here with the stang?

GATOR98GT

Founding Member
Apr 27, 2002
BRISTOL
A friend of mine has a 91 gt stock motor. He has longtube headers, 2 hi-flo cats, and 2 chamber flows. Problem is it doesn't sound loud at all. :bang: :bang: WHat is wrong with it? It sounds nice when you get on it but there is no sound when driving normal. WHat's the deal? :shrug: :nonono: :(

• Sponsors (?)

Maby it's not the exaust as much as the engine. If he's running the stock heads with the stock cam, that will explain it. My setup is BBK LT's, O/R H, and 2ch flows dumped. It's not much louder than stock at low throttle, and low rpm's, but open it up and it wakes up. I also have ported heads and a B cam. The cats will act as mufflers as well, why not buy a o/r H/X/PC and I am sure that will louden it up a bit.

Be glad its quiet during regular driving. With everything in my sig, my car is probably 50% louder than it was with a stock longblock. Heads and a cam will make big difference. The cats cut alot of noise too.

Wish my car was quiet when just cruising.

90mustangGT said:
Maby it's not the exaust as much as the engine. If he's running the stock heads with the stock cam, that will explain it. My setup is BBK LT's, O/R H, and 2ch flows dumped. It's not much louder than stock at low throttle, and low rpm's, but open it up and it wakes up. I also have ported heads and a B cam. The cats will act as mufflers as well, why not buy a o/r H/X/PC and I am sure that will louden it up a bit.
I have a stocker w/ flows and I can hear it inside my house and from a hundred feet away or more. It's not obnoxious loud at idle, but you can definately tell it's there. Are you positive the mufflers are 2 chambers? Maybe they gave him some quiet ones instead :notnice:

I am positive that they r 2 chambers. Not sure if they are on the right way, that would suck if they weren't. I'll have to check that out. I figured his would be maybe as loud as mine, granted I have a cam but i onlt have shorty headers. Didn't think the cam would make that much of a difference in the loudness just the idleing. Ill check on those backwards mufflers when the rain eventually stops up here. Thanks for the info

i just met a dude with 2 chambers (only time i knew for sure that it was 2 chambers that i was hearing), and they sounded pretty sick to me. i really liked them. i dont know what motor mods this kid had, but they were not quiet at idle.

My wifes 93 LX 5.0 with AOD just has TB, MAM, CAI, MSD6AL & coil. Her exhaust is MAC shorties, Bassani X-pipe with cats, 2 chamber flows. It is VERY quiet! Not even as loud as the factory exhaust on a 5 speed 5.0. Don't know why, but I wasted a grand on all that exhaust.

Cliff :D

90LX306 said:
Longtubes tend to be quieter than Shorties do, in every camparison i have seen (cars side by side w/same exh only longtube's vs. shorties) the shorties have been louder every time.
That's interesting. That has not been my experience and I have never heard another person say it either.

Cliff :D