What kinda HP will a stock fuel pump support...

taylor4g63

Founding Member
May 6, 2002
Asheboro, NC
WEll i finally have some money, and im looking to upgrade a few things i've been meaning to do. Ordered a transpac shift kit, 2600 stall, tranny cooler and flex fan. I got to thinking, and i'm wondering if the stock fuel pump is supporting my engine? My setup is : 306, pretty heavily ported late model heads and milled, cam with .520 or so lift, stealth intake and 600 carb. Will a stock fuel pump support this or should i be ordering a higher flow aftermarket unit? Also if anybody has had any bad experiences with a certain brand let me know so i'll stay away from that...

• Sponsors (?)

If you have not had any problems with it yet I dont see why you would start. I mean you would be able to tell if you where having problems with the engine starving for fuel, But its always a good idea when you have a performance engine to update the delivery system. A good aftermarket mechanical pump would work good for you. I have have had good experiance with edlebrock fuel pumps. Just guessing, but I would think the stock fuel pump could proably handle the 300 hp mark ???

I ran a factory high volume mech pump on my low riser 427 with 2 holley 600's, and it never starved for fuel. Now I've recently run a 400 horse 5.0 fed by a Purolator 30 gal/hour low pressure electric pump and it's never failed to keep up with the motor's demands.

Let me give you another comparison that'll give you some idea on what a carbed motor needs to feed it. The 200 hp Chevy 4.3 V6 in my boat with an electric LP pump will run at wide open throttle with a Holley 600 cfm 4 bbl, sucking fuel from an outboard's 6 gallon portable fuel tank complete with the snap on quick connect fitting, and if you'll look at these fittings you'll wonder how it never starves for fuel. Like I've posted here before, most people go way overboard on fuel delivery systems when it comes to carbed motors, they just don't require the volume an EFI system will.

You should be Ok with the stock pump.

If you upgrade, consider the Carter mechanical. I have used it for years on the race car with no problems. Personally, I give up the five or so horsepower necessary to drive the pump rather than take the chance of a major fire with the electric pumps.

I have seen several cars burn because the electric pump kept feeding a fire.

HistoricMustang
www.historicmustang.com