What should i do with my 260v8

ballajb64

Jul 13, 2006
California
i have had the same 260 v8 engine with a 3 speed transmission in my 64 1/2 mustang since i got it and now i want to upgrade and get more power. so my first question is should i keep this 260 engine or upgrade to a 289 or 302? my next question is with these different types of set ups what kind of rear end should i get and what kind of gears? thanks

• Sponsors (?)

a souped up 260 would be awsome. i dont think i've ever seen one personally. just like those few guys who upgraded a 200 inline six.

it all depends on the amount of power you want. there s WAY more aftermarket for a 289/302 out there then a 260.

I'd keep the 260 and warm it up with a cam, intake and 289 Hi-po manifolds. With the 260's smaller bore, you're going to be limited to the current stock heads, so that's not an option, other than porting them. If not then pull the 260 button it up to keep the critters out and store it then replace it with a roller 302.

My vote would go for a 302. There are so many aftermarket parts for these engines plus you'd be gaining quite a few C.I.'s that would mean more power without any mods. I would keep the 260 just in case you ever want to change it back to stock.

Don't stop at a 302. Go ahead and put a 351 W in it. It'll really roll then.:D

If you decide to stay with the 260 you might want to research what Shelby did to his 260's in the AC Cobras. I don't know what he did but I remember reading that they had an awesome 1/4 mile time. They were in a very light body though.