What tires?!?

millhouse

Founding Member
May 14, 2002
Simpsonville, SC
www.stangnet.com
I need a little bit of tire help. I'm in need of some replacement tires as my Nitto's have reached the end of their usefulness. I've contemplated getting another set of nitto's for the street and running some ET street's on a spare set of rims for the track….but am unsure of how it's going to work. Regardless of the route I'm taking, I'm keeping the radial tires (245, 45 17's) up front. Now, it's my understanding that ET street's are the most forgiving on the drivetrain…and easiest to launch with a 5 speed. I've also heard however that that sway quite a bit at speed….and when coupled with radial front tires it can make for an unstable ride. I'm strongly considering picking up a set of ET street radials instead for this very reason and using them as the all around tire (on 17" rims) instead. My biggest concern with the latter route however is a) I've heard the radials are more suited towards auto setups…and b) the redials are far les forgiving and tend to break ****.

Opinions and experiences are strongly valued…thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I had a friend running bf goodrich DRs on a sprayed built LS1 camaro SS and they did a pretty good job hooking up on the street. But he had a set of slicks for the track. From what Ive heard on the ET streets they are a good DR but the tread pattern and wear isnt that great for the street. If you havent all ready take a look at the bf goodrich DRs

I had a friend running bf goodrich DRs on a sprayed built LS1 camaro SS and they did a pretty good job hooking up on the street. But he had a set of slicks for the track. From what Ive heard on the ET streets they are a good DR but the tread pattern and wear isnt that great for the street. If you havent all ready take a look at the bf goodrich DRs

I've looked at them, but everything I've read…and everyone I've talked to claims the ET radials hook sooooo much better than the BFG's…and only wear slightly quicker. I'm not so much concerned with the rain….as I don't plan on driving in it. On the occasion that I get stuck in it….I'll slow down. My nitto's currently have no tread left whatsoever (20k miles)…so I know how unpredictable they can be in the wet. Still though…I'm not 100% certain of what route I want to take….and am still considering a set of spare rear's with et street's on em. I'm more concerned with how those handle however with radial front's…as I've heard that mixing bias plys and radials can cause some issues at the big end of the track.

The ET Street Radials will hook decent on the street and good on the track, but like you said a stick car is gonna be tougher. I know a few guys with lower power numbers (300 rwhp) doing well on them, but at your power level a rev and dump like they do might not work.

I would say as an all around tire its your best bet unless you decide to go with the street tire and the track tire on different rims.

The ET Street Radials will hook decent on the street and good on the track, but like you said a stick car is gonna be tougher. I know a few guys with lower power numbers (300 rwhp) doing well on them, but at your power level a rev and dump like they do might not work.

I would say as an all around tire its your best bet unless you decide to go with the street tire and the track tire on different rims.

I generally agree…but still am not sold. What's your opinion on running bias ply rears with radial fronts?

Use the bfg drag radials.
They should get you by on the track and on the street.
With good driving you'll only be a couple of tenths behind what a dedicated drag tire would do at the track, so their really would be no need for 2 sets of tires.
I've seen them all tested, even seen someone run 9's on 17's on the bfgs.
The mickey thompson drag radials hook the best, but it's not a real great street tire.

I had the BFG's and really liked them. Good on the street, and not too treacherous in the rain either. I actually had over 5,000 street miles on a set, and they had some life left, but with no track passes on them.

Im running a set of 275/50 ET Streets but only at the track on a set of 15X8 weld rims. I did notice a bit of a wobble as you stated before at high speeds but only at 100MPH or over and I believe that was due to the tire pressure being low they would prob not do it on the street. They hook awesome at the track and I have not played around w/ them to much on the street b/c I primarily want to just use them for the track. My very first time I used them at the track I cut a 1.808 60 FT

I ran radials in the front and bias ply hoosier QTPs on the back and never experienced any wobble. Hell I daily drove them all summer. They were fine on the highway too as long as they had over 20 psi in em

Good to hear…although keep in mind I should be trapping in the neighborhood of 130mph, so I'm wondering if (like Redline_351R says) it get's worse over 100mph?
While mileage is somewhat of a concern, I do believe people let their tires wear to different conditions before ditching them. I'm fairly confident that I could easily get a set of BFG's to last 10k miles…and ET street radials 5k.

With that said, keep the comments coming! I really think I'm going to stick with upgrading to BFG's or MT street radials…and possible pick up a set of ET streets on some 15's for track only duty.
Another question…do the MT radials really hook that much better than BFG's?

See...around here Ive been hearing alot about the MT radials working well on an automatic can as opposed to a stick car. From my experience and from what I have seen froming spending weekends at the track is that any bias ply tire is going to be better suited on a stick car. The launch on a stick car (unless you are using a tranny brake and yada yada yada) has a much greater initial shock on the tires, and this is where bias plys shine

I have run the BFG's, ET street radials and know people that have run the ET streets.

The BFG's hook better then the et radials IMO. With alittle prep and a 5500 dump on the street I was bogging, the et radials would never do that. I have atleast 3500 miles on my BFG radials thats with about 7 track passes, and quite a few "street passes". I love these tires and I will never switch.

The people I know that have run ET streets have had no luck getting them to hook on the street without the tires being REAL hot. 450 rwhp cars at 50-60 will lay into it and just spin. Completely different at the track though, they will hook HARD.

I say go with the BFG's for a all around good DR. The ones I run are bald in the center, believe they are tread pattern #2.

I have run the BFG's, ET street radials and know people that have run the ET streets.

The BFG's hook better then the et radials IMO. With alittle prep and a 5500 dump on the street I was bogging, the et radials would never do that. I have atleast 3500 miles on my BFG radials thats with about 7 track passes, and quite a few "street passes". I love these tires and I will never switch.

The people I know that have run ET streets have had no luck getting them to hook on the street without the tires being REAL hot. 450 rwhp cars at 50-60 will lay into it and just spin. Completely different at the track though, they will hook HARD.

I say go with the BFG's for a all around good DR. The ones I run are bald in the center, believe they are tread pattern #2.

That's the first time I've heard ET street radials having issues on the street with traction! I'd like for more people to chime in on this...as if there is any hint of truth to it I may just go with the BFG's!