what to do?

preest

Jan 8, 2009
Hey guys am new to the forum bit. I just got a 2008 mustang gt white with 5spd . I was thinking about doing some performance upgrades but i have no idea where to start r even what is the best manufacturers for said parts. thanks guys really appreciate any and all advice.

• Sponsors (?)

CAI is cold air induction, freer breathing , less restrictive. Go to Bamachips or Brenspeed websites. A good place to start. Tillman is also popular. LCA= lower control arms. Better hook up on launches. I would recommend an SCT tuner in addition to the CAI or the HP gains will not be great. Some go with headers, a high-flow X-pipe and mandrel-bent overaxles pipes. There are TONS of less restrictive mufflers, though they are mostly for sound. There are also TONS of different opinion on mufflers. You Tube has alot of Mustang exhaust videos to listen to. Congrats on the Mustang!

Don't go to someone like that for tuning, IMO. Steeda's mail order tunes are lacking. I've seen some dyno tunes that aren't bad though. Flowmaster sounds like crap on the S197, IMO.

To each their own. I think FlowMasters sound better than any other mufflers on S197's.

OP: Steeda parts are great, but for a tune, you're going to want a custom tune from BamaChips, BrenSpeed, or VMP and the sort. The tunes that come from Steeda or on the tuners themselves are better than stock, but not as good as one from any of the above mentioned. Of course, a custom-tune on a dyno is the best way, but can be rather costly.

If you wanna hear some Flows, check the link out below. My set up is shorty headers, off-road h-pipe, and the FlowMaster axle-backs. I do a quick walk-around of the car after, but the first 30 seconds or so let you hear the set-up. You can go on YouTube and listen to pretty much every exhaust combination out there for S197's.

YouTube - 100_3336.MOV

thanks for all ya'lls advise it really helped. I can work on jets but when it comes to cars i just dont know very much at all. another question tho if u don't mid? whats the difference between short tube and long tube headers, which one is better, and why

The longtubes have been proven to make a few more HP, but I cannot tell you the physics as to why.

IMO: The few extra horsepower you get from longtubes is not worth the extra cost of those headers; unless you are trying to build an all-out car and want to squeeze every HP out of it possible.

Also, the longtubes are harder to install: Trust me when I tell you, putting headers on these cars is a huge PITA! (pain in the ass, in case you aren't familiar with the acronym). If you are going to do it yourself, I highly recommend you get a ratchet wrench for the header bolts; regardless of whether they are longs or shorties.

The longtubes have been proven to make a few more HP, but I cannot tell you the physics as to why.
Their primary function is to help scavenge equal amounts of exhaust gas out of each engine cylinder, which in turn helps each cylinder to inhale equal amounts of incoming air for combustion. This allows each cylinder to produce close to the same amount of power, and the engine to produce a greater total amount of power.
Their secondary function is to help the exhaust gases flow more freely out of the engine, which allows the engine to inhale more incoming air per second, and thus produce even more power.

I didn't mean to put down the Flowmasters, sorry about that. It's different strokes for different folks. An exhaust system is going to be more opinionated than anything else probably. I'd suggest the OP do a lot of research and listen to a lot of sound clips and if possible some cars in person. Just remember, you're going to be the one having to drive around with it every day.

There is a big debate as to what's better as far as equal length and longtubes. Equal lengths make more usable power than long tubes. Longtubes make a little bit more peak power though.

Thanks alot rugedraw & nastystang113 u guys have been a tremendous help. Do either of you have myspace? If so can i add ya'll as friends? Cuz if u don't mind i'd like to beable to ask ya'lls opinions in the future. Cuz i don't know @#$% about cars, ands seems ya'll know alot. If not its cool and still i appreciate sll the help. PEACE!

oh yeah, rugedraw what size rims do u have? Whats a good company for rims either black R dark in color. I think that would look sick on my white car with tinted windows and headlight, taillight and fog light blackout covers. oh yeah and what style front bumper is that it looks sick.