What to look for on a used SuperCharger?

gcomfx.com

Founding Member
Oct 22, 2002
Republic, MO
Well guys, I was offered a PowerDyne with brackets and tubing for $900. I know it's not the ideal charger and some people hate them. I have another friend that has run one for years and loves his. The question I have is, will it benefit my combo or not. :shrug:

I'm trying to get the g/f on board, because if I don't care for it, or it doesn't flow enough on my combo... I know it'll benefit her stock car greatly. She keeps saying she doesn't want to go much faster, and I have enough left over parts to turn her 15.2 car into a low 14 car. So maybe I'm headed down the wrong street. It's just tempting since it's $2k less than the Vortech I was looking at.

What to do, what to do....

BTW - I ran a 12.83 @ 107 on street tires Friday night. The car still falls on it's face in the middle of second gear. Feels like the converter is going into lockup. Time to burn some more chips. :D

• Sponsors (?)

How about thinking of it this way...

How often in this hobby do you get better performance, less hassles and an all around great deal for $2k less? :D

Your combo is well put together, why strap on a Powerdyne blower to it, you'll have to pulley it up to make good power to flow and pulleying them up typically doesn't do to well on the belt or on the air temps.

Look for a Procharger or Vortech! The v3 blowers are quite nice. Si trim anyone?

Wes

How much compression do you have on that 331? If it's a 10:1 engine, a Powerdyne at 5lbs of boost might be ideal. Make sure you get everything in that kit for $900. I had a friend buy a used powerdyne for $900 a few years ago for his LT1 Camaro. It was missing just a few pieces and it ended up costing him almost as much as a new kit to get those few pieces. I would look down the inlet and make sure it has no obvious damage to the compressor. Then I would just check to see how smoothly it rotates. If you have the opportunity to, take the cover off the back and check to see what condition the belt is in.

Kurt

It's real close to 10:1. It was 9.89:1 when it was decked too much and using really thick cometic gaskets. Now the block is decked correct, and using standard gaskets. Heads were resurfaced a hair to make them straight again.

My car has an SCT chip (I now have the Pro Racer Package - chip burner) and 42lbers with LMAF meter already on the car. I should just need the charger, brackets, tubing, blow off valve, and belt right? :shrug:

Oh, my original idea was a vortech, but we're talking a serious price difference here. My original idea is out the window for a LONG time as the second engine build killed the funds for the super charger.

Yeah, I assume that's all you need. I think you are ok with that. You might want to step up to a 114 lobe sep cam if you are able to. I would try it on that camshaft and see how it runs. I think the Powerdyne kits are generally sold with an FMU, but you don't need it. The Powerdyne blower also has a belt inside the supercharger. That's the one I would check if you have the opportunity. The belt is not expensive to replace if it's bad, and I think there is like a composite belt or something you can replace it with that is stronger. I don't know all the details of those Powerdynes. With that much compression there really isn't any point holding out for a Vortech or something like that. Those Powerdynes make up to 9lbs of boost no problem. I've known a few people who have run them, and never heard a complaint on low boost. I think most of the bad rap for the powerdyne is from people who try to run high boost on them. I think it's worth a try. I'm sure you could ebay that blower for more than $900 if it just doesn't work out.

Kurt

you got the supporting hardware to run it but you might end up with more hassle than its worth. low boost is what your stuck to then. you won't be able to up it if its not what you want.

That'd be me..
I had a Powerdyne on my 94 Cobra, bolt ons. I got to 345 rwhp and tq. I have since rebuilt the engine to a 331, 185 AFR heads, TMoss ported lower Cobra intake with E cam. With this set up and a 9 lb pulley, 6 rib and belt slip I got 390 rwhp & 425 rwtq (got some detonaion and tuner pulled some timing and dropped to 375 or so). The power flattened out at app 4500 rpms untill 5300 rpms or so. I have since sold the powerdyne and got a Vortech SC trim. Had it on the dyno and got spark blow out at 4500 rpms, but made 391 rwhp and 450 rwtq. I have regapped the plugs but have not gotten back to the dyno tuner yet.
The powerdyne is a small blower and has it's limits. I would put the powerdyne on a stock motor, but not a modified engine again. It's a fun little blower. I think I was at the limit of the blower and was holding back the hp. The powerdyne is way easier to install than the vortech for sure. I was going to switch to a 8 rib set up, but sold it before, hoping the belt slip would make more hp.
See if you can get the powerdyne for a little cheaper, then I say go for it. Remember boost is addicting.
Check for end play and spin the blower to make sure the bearings are good. Check the impeller for nicks. Don't spin the powerdyne to more than the 9 lb pulley either, don't over spin the powerdyne.