What Will The X pipe Do on Dual Exhaust?

TheStang

Jan 29, 2004
ok i talked to the guy @ meineken, and he was telling me a little about it but not much.. So can someone tell me, What it will help if I get the true dual exhaust.. with 40 series Flowmasters.. Is it neccesary to get the X pipe? or is that just a useless addon?

Also the price he gave me was $675 out the door? Does that souind right or much higher? Thank you..

If you live in San Diego, Ca Leave me a msg about maybe were I could get something like this done..

• Sponsors (?)

holy crap thats rape ive redone my exhuast 3 times now with new mufflers and tips everytime and it hasnt cost me $400 yet

the x pipe isnt really needed on our cars but it does mellow out some of the popping you get from the exhuast.I just redid my exhuast and the shop didnt put mine back on damn them..so now im going to sell it.

It did mellow out my cars exhuast a bit but i figured with the blower on im not going to really hear it now anyways.

buy some gt,bullit or mach 1 tailpipes buy some new or used flowmasters on ebay(i paid 75 for both of mine new) and look for a local no name shop. also dont foreget the tailpipe and exhuast hangers from a gt for the pass side and a driver side tailpipe hanger

TheStang said:
ok i talked to the guy @ meineken, and he was telling me a little about it but not much.. So can someone tell me, What it will help if I get the true dual exhaust.. with 40 series Flowmasters.. Is it neccesary to get the X pipe? or is that just a useless addon?

Also the price he gave me was $675 out the door? Does that souind right or much higher? Thank you..

If you live in San Diego, Ca Leave me a msg about maybe were I could get something like this done..
675 is way too much. You can get a complete GT takeoff and have it installed for 300 easily. Then, if you're hell-bent on Flowmasters, buy them and just have them welded in afterward. Either way, it still won't come near 675. Check ebay or the for sale forums here for the flowmasters, and look at a set of GT takeoffs for the base plumbing. Then a shop should only have to charge you a minimal rate to weld it all together. Should not cost more than 500 for the complete deal, including Flowmasters.

The X-pipe isn't necessary. It's hard to describe exhaust sound, but the best way to explain it is that the x-pipe will make it sound 'smoother'. With separate pipes, straight back, you'll hear a bit of popping and unevenness to the sound. An x-pipe should get you more of a continuous tone. But from a performance standpoint, there's no need whatsoever for an x-pipe on an even-fire V6.

Ok so what your saying, is I should buy my parts from online? then go get them installed? and if thats the case could u give me some places I could go to get them? thank you.. And i dont tihnk im going to go with the x-pipe..doesnt seem like it will make the big of a difference.. What sounds like a right price for what i want done?

I'm saying check both and do whatever's cheaper. :) But I think you'll find that 99% of the time you can get a better price on mufflers and stuff like that if you look online than if you just walk into a shop.

Check out the Classifieds section here on StangNet. You should be able to pick up a set of GT takeoff pipes and mufflers for 100 bucks. Don't pay much more than that.

You can probably get the Flowmasters here too. Maybe check on ebay. Spend a few days looking around. If you jump on the first one you see, odds are you won't get the best deal. So watch for a while, and wait till you see a better deal.

Once you have the parts, find a local shop to do the install. Small shops are generally cheaper, but make sure you ask around about them a bit first so you don't get stuck with some shoddy work. Like I said, total cost should be well under 500 bucks. Figure 100 for the GT takeoffs, maybe another 100 for the mufflers, 100 for the install, 50 for some misc hangers and parts from Ford, and you're still only at 350.

Just look around on here and on ebay. You can get stuff cheap if you're marginally patient. Hell, I just got a set of 4 17" bullits with tires for $350, and an ASP UD pulley/damper with belt for 70 shipped!!!!!

Ok thanks..Ill look around...

Getting the gt takeoffs and the flowmasters, are still the true dual right? I dont wanna mix myself up...sorry im still sorta learning the best route, thats not to expensive..

So if I found em on ebay and through the web it would be cheaper prob.
Then go to a muffler shop tell em I have the gt takeoffs, 2 flows and that should be what they need.. Other then the minor things right?

I appreciate your help..
By chance you have aim?

Yep, it's still true duals. What you want when you buy GT takeoffs is the part from the cats and back. It'll be two independent pipes, each one will look like this...

Flange---->muffler------>tailpipe

The basic reason for buying the GT takeoffs is that the piping is already there, and the EXACT fit for our cars. Otherwise a muffler shop would have to custom bend pipes to fit.

At that point, you basically cut out the GT mufflers and replace them with your Flows. Any exhaust shop can do that for like 30 bucks in half an hour.

The muffler shop wont need anything else except for a couple hangers for the passenger-side pipe, and a couple mics pieces of pipe to go from your cats to the GT takeoff parts you bought.

See this link for more info...

http://www.miracerros.com/mustang/pipes.htm

Don't have AIM, but my MSN is [email protected] if you wanna talk more. I'm off to bed now tho. :)