What would you guys do?

Methodical

Dec 1, 2003
Clinton, MD
Ok this is not really Mustang talk, well maybe it is. I use the TwEECer tune my car. My laptop got corrupted with worms so I began searching for a new OS since Compaq no longer had Windows 2000. So I turned to Ebay. I won an auction on Ebay for Windows XP OS. Now here's where I need your opinions.

I received the invoice which included the seller's name, address and phone number. The invoice stated that I can mail payment to the address provided by the seller. I realized the address was about 6 miles from my house so I called the seller to see if we could meet to make the exchange. When I called and asked for the seller I was told that no such person lived there - that I had the wrong phone number. So I emailed the seller and asked the seller about the address, phone number provided. After about 5 days, the seller returned my email and simply stated to make payment. The seller never acknowledge the fact that the number provided is wrong and that that the address is wrong.

What would you guys do? I have my ideas of what to do but just wanted to see how others would handle this situation.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I'd be thinking that something shady is afoot. WHen things are on the up and up, people dont have misleading info like that. Or they don't put non-needed info in the invoice to start with. Or they can explain a discrepancy like the phone number thing.

Was that kind of your take on it Al?

How about using a reverse look-up directory to see if the name, addy and phone number are in alignment......

Good luck.

does the guy have any feedback? if he has alot of feedback, and 99% of it is positive, then i'd tend to worry less, but i'd still be leery

also ... usually, laptops come with a recovery disk that you can use to rebuild the os in the case of a crash like that. did you contact compaq customer service? they might be able to help you out.

Everything you guys said basically is what I was thinking. Just good to here others opinions.

I do plan to contact Ebay about this transaction. I just hate that I have to use email to contact them but at the same time it's good because it's documented.

Yes, the seller has about 7 feedbacks - 1 negative but they are all old feedbacks - like 05, 04 etc.

I don't plan to send the seller anything.

Yes, I contacted Compaq but they no longer have the Windows 2000 OS. I found that out after I order the recovery disk (the sales rep never mention this) and it contained the old Windows NT OS. So they are going to refund my money including shipping. They should've told me this prior selling the recover disk to me:mad: .

I ordered the Windows XP OS from a legitimate seller on Ebay and received it yesterday.

Thanks fellas.

Al

Update: This is a reply from Ebay

Dear Albert,

Thank you for writing eBay in regard to rola3350's invalid phone number.

We've investigated the matter, and we have not been able to reach the
member or verify the accuracy of the member's contact information. As a
precaution, we have temporarily restricted the member's activities on
eBay until we have further information.

Sometimes, we have difficulty reaching a member for simple reasons that
are easy to remedy. For this reason, our actions should not be viewed as
a negative reflection on this member.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Holiday

eBay Customer Support