Whats it take to get in the 10s?

04YELLOWGT

Jun 29, 2005
Indiana
A friend of mine has an 03 Cobra and had his heart set on a new Shelby but wont pay over sticker for one. We are both starting think he wont be getting one any time soon, so he wants to know what it will take to get a GT in to the 10s or at least low 11s. NITROUS IS NOT AN OPTION!!

Can you add a blower on to a GT and with supporting mods get into the 10s with stock internals? What is the most boost you can run safely? He really doesnt want to tear in to the engine if he dosent have to.....so basicaly if he did:

Supercharger w/ ?# of boost (KB, Vortech, ect.) Which would you reccomend?
Intercooler/Aftercooler
Gears
TB/Plenum
Exhaust (catback, mid, and headers)
Stall conv. ( if he goes auto)
What ever else Im missing.

Would those mods get him to where he wants to be?

Sorry to ask so many questions but he knows 03/04 Cobras, I know 99-04 GT and the new Shelbys. We really never studied the new GTs.

Thanks in advance guys!

• Sponsors (?)

Off topic kinda.. but the local dealer here has had a red convertable Shelby for over 2 months... they can't sell it.

It's brand new and I'm sure you could snag it for sticker price.

A supercharger or a turbo will get you into the 10's for sure.

The problem is that it will be on the ragged edge of what the stock internals can handle.

So the list goes something like this.

Built shortblock
Supercharger or turbocharger
Fuel System Upgrades
Suspension Upgrades
Roll Cage if he doesn't want to get the boot from the track
4.10's almost mandatory
Aluminum Driveshaft and Safety Loop
Aftermarket Clutch and Aluminum Flywheel since the clutch is already out
High Stall Torque Converter if Automatic
Wheels and Tires to put the power to the ground

So your saying itll be a ticking time bomb to get it in the tens?

What could he safely run with a stock shortblock? Hes a hell of a driver, his 03 Cobra runs 11.1-11.4 @ 12Xmph with full weight, so hes got the driver mod.

I see youre running 11.4s :nice: , is that on stock internals?

So your saying itll be a ticking time bomb to get it in the tens?

What could he safely run with a stock shortblock? Hes a hell of a driver, his 03 Cobra runs 11.1-11.4 @ 12Xmph with full weight, so hes got the driver mod.

I see youre running 11.4s :nice: , is that on stock internals?
Yup I'm on stock internals but I have a Teksid block here ready for a build.
Some guys have run in the 10's for months before they blew up.
Sooner or later it will catch up to you.

For tens you will definitely need a supercharger. Most of them are capable to do what he wnts.

Basically, this car's potential for 10's on stock motor is VERY acheivable. The suspension setup will be the most critical part of the cars performance.

Roush has a drag car out that runs in the high 11's with only 415 hp at the crank. you might be able to go 460WHP with a good suspension and slicks and make 10's. this is pure speculation though, but it may work.

All racing is borrowed time isn't it? lol Just get a good charger setup turn it up on the track and down on the street.

Yes, but a built shortblock lends you more time....especially if you're just racing for giggles.

I say go turbo. There's a few kits out there that are pretty easy to install yourself if you can read and have a few tools. Ride in a S/C'd S197, then a T/C'd S197 and you'll pick turbo for sure. I've heard of a few guys going from S/C to T/C in a S197, but never the other way around!

Hellion turbo kit is 5k + alot of tunning. Certainly worth it in my opinion. Plus, MM&FF did a write-up about a hellion turbo kit that made somthing like 570HP on the stock block... but backed it back down to a safe level.

I *think* it was 570, someone correct me.

Ditch the supercharger idea and get the Hellion kit!