Whats the best and most efficient E-Fan?

Guero

Oct 11, 2005
Whats the best and most efficient E-Fan? Seems like my e fan is going, and was gonna replace with something better. As of right now I have one from a 95(I do have the 95 Alternater also), and its decent. But Its a pain to fit cuz of the Supercharger crank pulley gets in the way.

• Sponsors (?)

Hey bud. A fan from a 3.8L Taurus is comparable to ours but it packages nicer (it's rectangular instead of having that weird hump to clear the ABS pump). I didnt notice hardly any difference in cooling ability however.

A Ramcharger fan could work but I havent run one in the heat to know if it can keep up (it's a dual fan, so it would offset the motors from your pulleys).

Got any connections to get a Viper fan? They skyrocketed in price a couple years ago.....

For those who don't know, he's in Phoenix and sees temps of ~115*F.

Well the Mark VIII and 4.6 T-bird/Cougar Fan is the best, but it may not fit with your s/c setup. The 3.8 Taurus fan it cools great too and you might have better luck getting it in. I have both a Mark VIII fan and a Taurus, I couldnt get the Mark to fit. I thought about modifying the shroud to offset it and get off my WP pulley; but I saved the work and went for plan B... the Taurus fan.

Well the Mark VIII and 4.6 T-bird/Cougar Fan is the best, but it may not fit with your s/c setup. The 3.8 Taurus fan it cools great too and you might have better luck getting it in. I have both a Mark VIII fan and a Taurus, I couldnt get the Mark to fit. I thought about modifying the shroud to offset it and get off my WP pulley; but I saved the work and went for plan B... the Taurus fan.

are you using the taurus shroud too? i need to put a new fan and shroud in mine, and need something that will line up on the frpp rad.

are you using the taurus shroud too? i need to put a new fan and shroud in mine, and need something that will line up on the frpp rad.

Yeah I'm using the 3.8 Taurus fan and shroud. I picked mine up for $11 bucks at Speedway Salvage, across from the Gateway track; plenty of Taurus' there.

On another note... I swapped a T-bird shroud to a Mark VIII fan blade and motor since I cut mine too low; so the Mark VIII and the later MN12 'birds do have the same fan blade and shroud... the motor I'm not 100% sure; I'll bet they're the same or close though. So keep your eyes peeled for 'birds and Cougars too.

Spal Dual 11" Best money can buy.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's the best money can buy, since you can get a brand new Mark VIII fan for less and it'll blow Spal's out of the park, BUT for a supercharger setup where space is limited this is a great option (albeit much more expensive). I'd definitely look for a twin fan setup if space is at a premium. You could probably also run a Taurus fan and offset it far to one side or the other and clear the pulley but you'd have to do some test fitting. If space is really crazy tight you could also look into getting a duel pusher style setup (i believe the Spal can be wired up this way) and put the fan in front of the radiator. I've thought about trying to do this with a Taurus fan, but i think the shroud would block cooling at driving speeds so you'd need a duel fan setup that didn't have a huge shroud.

i have had luck with 01-02 dodge intrepid dual fan , and my 95 mustang fan, i have a vortech and with the 94-95 mustang fan i have about 1" of clearance and with the intrepid fan there was no clearance issues at all

i have had luck with 01-02 dodge intrepid dual fan , and my 95 mustang fan, i have a vortech and with the 94-95 mustang fan i have about 1" of clearance and with the intrepid fan there was no clearance issues at all

Do you have pics of the Intrepid fan? I was looking through a bunch of Dodge's at the junkyard and noticed there are a LOT of duel fan options on various cars but i don't know about cooling ability for them (cfm).

I've also heard that a SVT Focus duel fan setup is awesome but where do you find something like that?

Do you have pics of the Intrepid fan? I was looking through a bunch of Dodge's at the junkyard and noticed there are a LOT of duel fan options on various cars but i don't know about cooling ability for them (cfm).

I've also heard that a SVT Focus duel fan setup is awesome but where do you find something like that?
The dual Intrepid fans have been reported to flow around 2,750 to 3,000 cfm. IMHO, that sounds just about right for their size and motor (and 2 fans).

A MVIII or Taurus fan flows 4,000 to 4,500 cfm.

People with 500+ HP engine report that a dual 2,700cfm fan is enough for them.

But, there are MANY considerations in the cooling needs for a Fox or sn95. Even something like headers can make a HUGE difference. Equal length non-coated headers make TONS AND TONS of heat under the hood. My FRPP non-equal length jet-hot coated headers make my under-hood temps go easily past 150F in the summer when at a stop light! I swear that even though my new headers are coated, they throw off more heat than my stock headers! One reason is the diameter and amount of tubing.

IMHO, a Taurus fan with a DCC controller is about the most efficient setup. Unless you have a PWM controller, you can't have a "very efficient" e-fan setup. Note, I'm talking about at idle and low speeds. On the highway, most e-fans will be off. So, at that point, which fan you have won't matter. :)

IMHO, even though the Taurus fan may have "similar/same/more" airflow and is more efficient, I prefer to have, and to say that I have a MKVIII fan. :)

Also, I wanted to add, that unless someone has been in rush-hour traffic like Boston, NY, LA, etc, then they likely don't have a clue on how much stress that puts on a car's cooling system with the AC on full!

And, sorry, 120F temps in Nevada, etc, again, do not compare to the cooling demands that a car in hot non-moving city bumper-to-bumper traffic (for 45+ mins) has to handle!

Outside 120F temps are nothing compared to the hot exhausts coming from cars and SUVs with their AC on full.

Still, with the above said, my guess is that unless you're putting out ~350+HP, a fan setup with 2,700 cfm should be fine, even for bad city traffic.

I believe the Taurus is up around 3800cfm anyways...well above most aftermarket fans.
Of course, it depends on the years. :)

NOTE: The ramchargers are basically impossible to get anymore!

Here's some good info:
From the corral, you could do a search on that website, if you want:

Electric Fans! - Mark VIII, Tuarus, and Dual Ramcharger
Fan Info

Looking for an electric fan upgrade to install this summer to solve your overheating problems, ... Let me first say that I personally run one of these Mark VIII fans in my 1992 GT with a DCC and it works awesome and is in my opinion the best setup to go with. I have a buddy with a 700rwhp 03 Cobra that also runs one of my Mark VIII fans and it works awesome for him too. I have personally flow tested all 4 of these fan types to find out the actual CFM flow and the Mark VIII and Taurus (Taurus and Mark VIII fans have same motor) fans flow about 4500 CFM and some have done about 4900CFM. The older style Dual Ramcharger style fans flow about 3500-4000CFM and the newer Y2K Ramchargers flow about 3000-3500. All 4 fans are dual speed fans also.

.... fans unmodified, trimmed, or with custom stainless steel brackets to bolt right into a 5.0 (as long as you have the stock radiator or an aftermarket radiator with factory mounting points). For the Mark VIII fans with custom brackets, the J-clips at the bottom of the radiator need to be trimmed by .5", which is very simple and only takes some tin snips to do.

The Ramcharger style fans do not go all the way to the bottom of the radiator, so I suggest using some through-radiator ties to hold it flush against the radiator. I can setup the Ramcharger style fans with the brackets on either side of the fan so that the wiring can either be at the top or bottom, or on the older style Ramcharger changing bracket sides would make is that the taller fan motor can be either on the passenger side or drivers side. i.e. in the pictures below, the fan is setup so that the wiring is on the top and the taller fan motor is on the drivers side, but could be reversed

The Taurus fans ... do not sell with custom brackets because I find that most people prefer to use the through-radiator ties with it, though I do not recommend using those to fully mount and hold a fan to the radiator.

Fan Dimensions

- Mark VIII dimensions are 18.5 x 22 x 6 and 18" blades, not including the tabs.

- Mark VIII w/ trimmed tabs and trimmed depth dimensions are 18.5 x 22 x 5.25 and 18" blades

- Taurus fan dimensions are 18.5 x 23 x 5 inches, and 17" blades

- Y2K Dual Ramcharger style fan dimensions are 26 1/2 in wide by 15 1/4 in tall and a slim 3 5/8 in deep

- The older Dual Ramcharger style fan dimensions are 15 x 25 x 3 inches deep in the center and 4.5" at the small fan motor center and 5.75" at the tall motor. 13" fan blades.

OEM unmodified Mark VIII fan
DSCN0101.jpg

Mark VIII w/ custom brackets for 5.0
DSCN2042.jpg

DSCN2043.jpg

DSCN2044.jpg

Taurus fan
DSCN1929.jpg

Also, I wanted to add, that unless someone has been in rush-hour traffic like Boston, NY, LA, etc, then they likely don't have a clue on how much stress that puts on a car's cooling system with the AC on full!

And, sorry, 120F temps in Nevada, etc, again, do not compare to the cooling demands that a car in hot non-moving city bumper-to-bumper traffic (for 45+ mins) has to handle!

Outside 120F temps are nothing compared to the hot exhausts coming from cars and SUVs with their AC on full.

Still, with the above said, my guess is that unless you're putting out ~350+HP, a fan setup with 2,700 cfm should be fine, even for bad city traffic.

As stated before I live in phoenix and it gets 115* plus with bumper to bumper traffic. Im sure it gets a little hotter that, but unless you have been in it you would have no idea how hot that actually feels.

Of course, it depends on the years. :)

NOTE: The ramchargers are basically impossible to get anymore!

Here's some good info:
From the corral, you could do a search on that website, if you want:

Electric Fans! - Mark VIII, Tuarus, and Dual Ramcharger
Fan Info

Looking for an electric fan upgrade to install this summer to solve your overheating problems, ... Let me first say that I personally run one of these Mark VIII fans in my 1992 GT with a DCC and it works awesome and is in my opinion the best setup to go with. I have a buddy with a 700rwhp 03 Cobra that also runs one of my Mark VIII fans and it works awesome for him too. I have personally flow tested all 4 of these fan types to find out the actual CFM flow and the Mark VIII and Taurus (Taurus and Mark VIII fans have same motor) fans flow about 4500 CFM and some have done about 4900CFM. The older style Dual Ramcharger style fans flow about 3500-4000CFM and the newer Y2K Ramchargers flow about 3000-3500. All 4 fans are dual speed fans also.

.... fans unmodified, trimmed, or with custom stainless steel brackets to bolt right into a 5.0 (as long as you have the stock radiator or an aftermarket radiator with factory mounting points). For the Mark VIII fans with custom brackets, the J-clips at the bottom of the radiator need to be trimmed by .5", which is very simple and only takes some tin snips to do.

The Ramcharger style fans do not go all the way to the bottom of the radiator, so I suggest using some through-radiator ties to hold it flush against the radiator. I can setup the Ramcharger style fans with the brackets on either side of the fan so that the wiring can either be at the top or bottom, or on the older style Ramcharger changing bracket sides would make is that the taller fan motor can be either on the passenger side or drivers side. i.e. in the pictures below, the fan is setup so that the wiring is on the top and the taller fan motor is on the drivers side, but could be reversed

The Taurus fans ... do not sell with custom brackets because I find that most people prefer to use the through-radiator ties with it, though I do not recommend using those to fully mount and hold a fan to the radiator.

Fan Dimensions

- Mark VIII dimensions are 18.5 x 22 x 6 and 18" blades, not including the tabs.

- Mark VIII w/ trimmed tabs and trimmed depth dimensions are 18.5 x 22 x 5.25 and 18" blades

- Taurus fan dimensions are 18.5 x 23 x 5 inches, and 17" blades

- Y2K Dual Ramcharger style fan dimensions are 26 1/2 in wide by 15 1/4 in tall and a slim 3 5/8 in deep

- The older Dual Ramcharger style fan dimensions are 15 x 25 x 3 inches deep in the center and 4.5" at the small fan motor center and 5.75" at the tall motor. 13" fan blades.

OEM unmodified Mark VIII fan
DSCN0101.jpg

Mark VIII w/ custom brackets for 5.0
DSCN2042.jpg

DSCN2043.jpg

DSCN2044.jpg

Taurus fan
DSCN1929.jpg

What year VII is the fans out of?

And what exactly does a DCC do? I tried doing a search but wasnt able with all this stuff at work.