whats the problem?

alludethis

Sep 5, 2006
Alright well i finally got the engine out of the car and on the stand, which by the way, getting it on the stand was a ******. Anyway, the reason i originally pulled the engine was because it was smoking pretty badly. Also the engine just looks like crap, 18 years of gunk just built up on it. But anyway, I was looking at the old head gaskets today and they seem to be in alright shape. It looks like its possible they may have been changed at one point. The gaskets them selves had some orange seal type thing on different parts, not exactly sure how to describe it, but they dont look like they've been on for nearly 20 years. But my question is, if they are still in tact and look new what could the smoke have been coming from? The oil looked fine when i drained it, but when i smelled the exhaust, i could definetly smell a hint of antifreeze in the exhaust. What else could have been leaking, or maybe the head gasket wasnt put on right, or the bolts werent torqued correctly. Any ideas guys?

• Sponsors (?)

gcwh02 said:
Just because its not visible doesnt mean you dont have a HG leak. Its good insurance that you change them and get new head bolts before you put the engine back in.

Oh dont worry i am. The old head bolts and gaskets are in the garbage. I have the engine apart now and everything looks great in there. I actually posted about it in a new thread. The pistons and everything including the dual timing chain look great. It looks like the engine was maybe rebuilt? Maybe the guy had the engine rebuilt but put the gaskets on himself and didnt do it right?