whats the purpose of a new rear end cover?

• Sponsors (?)

DageonYar said:
It's lighter and therefore adds .00003HP :shrug:

Its not lighter at all, quite a bit heavier

It has webbing along with the set screws, these push on the caps and keep them tight. If your not racing or on sticky tires I wouldn't bother with one. I have the Mac one its OK but others are better, Macs gasket is junk and the set screws were just barely long enough.

twogts4us said:
Ford / SVT sells one as well with cap supports.
Honestly, it's probably more bling value unless you have lots of gear and run DRs or slicks.

well that is the whole purpose of the piece to beef up the drivetrain to be able to take the load if you ever happened to hook up.

T/A makes the covers for ford so just buy the T/A cover as it is about $60 cheaper.

if you think about the way energy is delivered through the pinion gear to the ring gear it is naturally going to load the ring gear towards the rear of the car. the rear girdle is stronger and has bolts that load the main caps so they don't flex.

twisting or flex is what breaks stuff quite a bit of the time.

it is way heavier than the stock stamped cover to all the mathematicians that think there is some kind of weight savings to the piece. it is think solid aluminum.

It also has a drain plug and a fill hole. the fill hole is about useless though for a normal gear lube bottle.

well my .02 is that if you street race or go to the track its a great insurance policy and cheaper than having to buy a new trac-loc and gears plus pay for installation. It prolongs the life of your gears and rear end. think of it like a driveshaft safety loop. my vote.... If you have ever banged second gear pulling off from a traffic light [or tree] i would invest under $200.00 for a lil added insurance.