whats up with this fel-pro 1011-1 ?

hey guys this fel-pro 1011-1 cam in from summit and i set it on the block to see how well it fit and it fits just nice. buuuuuuuuuut on the gasket it says "front" and on that front side the water ports are not cut so the water can run through the gasket. the back is just fine. whats up with this. do i need to cut it out my self? and also the water ports on the bottom of the block are triangle yet the head gasket is circle. is this normal? it looks that the flow would be restricted like this. thanks ryan

• Sponsors (?)

as long as the front is in front, youre good...the reason is holes both have to be in the rear for coolant flow between the rear of the heads through the intake, one gasket might be upside down from the other and thats normal...first time i did mine, i put them so the same side on both and had to tear it all down to redo it...if not it would have overheated

biggyfan1 said:
some one was just telling me that the 1011-1 is for older blocks. is this true? i bought the 1110-1 felpro and now i am being told i needed to get 1011-2 what the heak. the car is a 1966 the block is a 1989.

You were told incorrectly. You CAN use the 1011-1 like we told you in the other thread ;)

My understanding was that the 1011-2 has a copper sealing ring for use with aluminum heads and the 1011-1 has a steel ring for use with cast iron heads. But the general consensus is that the 1011-1 can be used with aluminum heads without any problems, and they hold up better then the 1011-2, especially with a blower

Mike92GT said:
My understanding was that the 1011-2 has a copper sealing ring for use with aluminum heads and the 1011-1 has a steel ring for use with cast iron heads. But the general consensus is that the 1011-1 can be used with aluminum heads without any problems, and they hold up better then the 1011-2, especially with a blower
-1 steel ring, -2 copper ring. the front stamp on the gasket is very important. it has to do with the way the coolant flows through the block and heads. no left and right. just make sure front is front on both gaskets.