whats with short throw shifters?

• Sponsors (?)

Well, I personally wouldn't bother with just upgrading the handle, I'd opt for the entire "kit." That's where you'll see more of a difference.

Aftermarket shifters are a great mod, the biggest benefit is that it makes for "shorter" (physically speaking) throws between each gear. They also have adjustable (nut & bolts) "stops" which keep the shifter from overextending the shift forks (not good) during spirited driving/shifting.

Once you drive a vehicle equipped with an aftermarket short throw shifter, you'll never want to go back to a car that has a "normal/factory" shifter. :D

However, the biggest "con" is that one can also expect a small (or moderate, if noises bother you - LOL) amount of transmission noise/whine after the shifter install. Don't worry though, this is normal all aftermarket shifters - just turn up the radio volume & give it a little bit of time, you'll get used to it.

Many people comment that the factory shifters feel "rubbery" and slugglish compared to the smooth, short, direct shifts asssociated with aftermarket shifters. Some popular choices are Steeda's Tri Ax and the Pro 5.0 shifter...

...here is a "how-to" installation guide for the Steeda Tri-Ax, as found on SN:

http://www.stangnet.com/tech/triax.html

I recently installed a short throw Steeda Tri-Ax shifter in my 97 Cobra. It does make more noise, however the shorter shift and better feel is definitely worth it. Be careful when adjusting the stops for the shifter. If you adjust them to close, the gears in the transmission will not fully engage. The transmission will be ruined then. If in doubt when installing, adjust them a quarter or half turn more just to make sure the gears are fully engaged. The shifters also have helper springs to give better shifts between 2nd and 3rd, as well as 5th and 6th in your case back down to 4th.