What's wrong with My clutch?

wv109323

Sep 11, 2008
Lenore ,WV
I bought a theft recovery 92 GT. I put a rebuilt 5.0 motor in it. The clutch/pressure plate in the car had very low miles so I reused it. I have everything in the car ,engine running, but I can not adjust my clutch. The car has an aluminum aftermarket quadrant with a cable adjustable at the clutch fork.
When I adjust the cable so that there is about 1/2" of free play on the clutch pedal, here is what happens. The clutch pedal is almost impossible to push in (at least 60 lbs pressure to push it in and disengage the clutch safety switch) and the clutch will not release. With 2-3" of free play in the clutch pedal the clutch still is very stiff heavy and will not release.
You can not put the car in gear with the engine running. With the car in gear, clutch depressed the car leaps forward when you try to start the car. I thought the clutch was stuck but I could not break it loose.
This is not my first rodeo, I put clutches in a 1965 VW and 1965 Barracuda when they were current.
What could I have done wrong? Anything unique for the Mustang? I used a clutch alignment tool. I torqued everything to spec, no gap between flywheel and pressure plate. Any Ideas? Suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

Does the fork move an appropriate amount for the amount of pedal travel?

Is the cable routed correctly?

If yes to both, it looks like the clutch probably needs to be swapped out. A stolen car probably has the drivetrain beaten up pretty good.