Wheel Spacers-need help/opinions

nickm347

Jul 13, 2003
I need to get some wheelspacers for the back, but im not sure how big, and where to go to get them? I found some 1" Billet Aluminum spacers from 50resto.com for around $99.95
WSP-PA1.jpg

Do you think the 1" is too big? Take a look at my car and tell me how big you would go with. I think i need something, im just not sure what
307847_48_full.jpg

307847_47_full.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

I'm in the same boat right now as my front wheels are hitting my coil-overs. Do what I did, get yourself a bunch of 1/8" washers and put them over the lugs and see hopw many it takes to move the wheel to a place where you like it. I had to go with 5/16" up front and 3" long studs. :bang: :(

Nick, it looks like 1" might be a bit much for you from those pictures. If you want to get it right, use a straight edge against the outside of your wheels and tires. Run it up under your wheel well. Then measure the gap between the straight edge (wheel/tire side) and the wheel well at the center top (measure to the inside of the lip - that's where it will rub if you go too large). That is the thickness spacer that you should get.

You can probably get away with 3/16 over (maybe even 3/8 over if you really push it). I went 3/16 over my measurement, and it fits fine. My spacers are 1" and 3/16.

Maximum Motorsports carries quality spacers. You should also consider Eibach or H&R brand spacers. In any case, make sure they are hubcentric. The one's you mentioned from 50Resto.com are not hubcentric.

Don't skimp on quality here. Even a top quality spacer is not that expensive. You don't want a wheel coming off as you cruise down the highway at 80. And also remember to torque em down to spec, and come back a retorque em later. I heard plenty of horror stories about spacers when I was looking into them. Unfortunately, some of those posts were lost in the server burp.

Good luck.

I used to run 1' MM spacers....Pretty much flushed out the rear with the front...This was with 245s...To much more than 1" then the 245s look wierd from the back...
spacer_from_front.jpg

Another look...
side_rear.jpg

xr8d302 said:
What's hubcentric? And how come I feel like poop now that I realized I actually ordered 1.25 inch spacers, with 275's on my car....arghh!

These are MM 1"...hubcentric means they run concentric or evenly with the hub....the I.D. fits to a Tee around the raised diameter on the axle...will run true to the axle with this way..some are loose around the hub area and I guess you might or could have a vibration??? Never had an issue with MM's myself...

I just bought some MM 1/4" spacers off the classifieds to throw on the rear of mine...want the tires out a hair more..those were like 40.00...

hr__spacers.jpg

:bang: IDIOT!!! ... ok soo FROM EXPERIENCE... you DO NOT BUY ANYTHING THAT IS NOT HUBCENTRIC... because if it's now... :mad: ...there will be vibration...and even can cause the lug nuts to loosen... and when they are loose and come off...guess what happens ..yes your wheel comes off! :bang:
..Yes, im a moron but... deffinately go with HUBCENTRICS!

If you wind up with spacers that are not hubcentric, make sure you get the right lugnuts. Because now you need lugcentric lugnuts to make sure your can mount your wheels correctly. The best bet may be to sell em or just bag it to a learning experience, and buy hubcentric wheel spacers.

xr8d302: 1.25 inch spacers are not necessarily a problem with 275s. Try them on when you get them and see what they look like. The critical thing is your wheel's backspacing. But that's why you should really measure first.