When cruising, or daily driving...what rpms do you shift at?

90mustangfan

Oct 18, 2005
So cal
What rpm's do you guys with Gears (3.73 and 4.10, or higher) Shift at when just driving normal or cursing? What do you shift at when just keeping up with the flow of traffic?..Also what rpm do you shift at when trying to conserve on gas
Daily driving shift: 2300rpm
conserving gas shift:2000rpm
Driving at flow of traffic: 2500-2600rpm
driving in hurry shift: 3000 rpm
What do you guys do?

• Sponsors (?)

Well, in my Notch with 4:10s, I shift around 3000 - 3200rpm. In my Capri with 3:73s, I usually shift around 2200 - 3000rpm. In my '04 V6, 2000rpm.

I love how the Notch sounds (violator muffs and O/R Xpipe :drool:) so, I tend to shift later than I should. :D

i usually go for the 2500-3000 as well... people hate droning exhaust, but i love to get it right into the drone sweet spot :)

As for cursing, it usually comes as a result of me miss-timing a shift and revving to 7200rpm, so theres your answer.

well, here goes
my 95 gt (sold) around 3k
my svo (sold) around 4k
my 86 gt (gone) hehe well until I hear the rev limiter lol
my 90 vert (wrecked) around 3k I guess, I beat on it a little
my 93 notch (still have!!) well its an auto and a 2.3 so IDK

when cursing all of em hit the rev limiter more than a couple times, and powershifted so approx. 6250...........

Is there a purpose to this thread? Don't we all drive pretty much the same way? Shift when it seems right, runnin hard shift later, savin' gas shift sooner.

I think we all shift at about the same rpm no matter what gears because that doesn't effect the rpms, it only changes the speed at which you are going when you get to those same rpms.

I'm not trying to pi$$ on your thread, just trying to figure it out.

Mines an auto so like Ryan218 it depends on how heavy my foot is in it. But even if it was a manual, I would shift when it sounded right, I very rarely look at the tach while I'm driving.