When your Harmonic Balancer is about to go out, does it make any noise?

95CobraMike

Apr 12, 2004
Lima OH
when i was putting my cam in, i noticed that my HB had the rubber coming out. but i didnt replace it. (i bought a new Romac one but it was too small to go on the crank, so i didnt install it)
now after my cam install i have a weird knocking noise coming from my engine... souds kinda like a thud type knock.
the knock only happens after the car has warmed up...
only when the engine is under load, but seems to be worse in the lower rpm's

it cant be spark knock because
-i run 93 octane
-timing is set at 10*
-have a MSD BTM

im clueless
i only noticed it after the cam install and it seems to be getting worse :notnice:

• Sponsors (?)

if the rubber is starting to come out it is time to replace it. since our balancers are two piece ...as the rubber comes out it allows it to slip throwing it off balance. you will notice a very bad vibration. take care of this immediatly cause balancers going out have been known to snap cranks

Stock timing is 10* you may have to either "play" with the timing (8*-14*) until you can dial it in right. If the runbber was coming out is pretty much done, you may have even spun the balancer and your timig is way off. Also, if the Romac balancer is for a 50oz it will fit they just have a rep for being a tight fit some heating may help it "slip" on easier.

If the balancer can contact anything around it, it can make noise (like was said). If one sets their timing based upon a spun outer ring, that can cause pinging issues (like Wytstang said).

Someone mentioned "per-det". I think Pre-det would be just fine (meaning 'before detonation'. :) ).

Good luck.

95CobraMike said:
lol my bad, i meant PRE not per
im stupid....
ill see if it touches anything....
No actually I made the typo - my bad. The point was there is 'detonation' or 'preignition', but not 'pre-detonation'. :)

dude just replace it...stock hb's on our cars suck...they are always going out I know several people who have problems with them...me included...mine went bad and the car shook so much that the mid pipe was banging the chasis...make sure to replace it with something cool like one rated for 11,000 rpms or something...lol

When my stocker gave up the Ghost, there were no vibrations at all. It got just enough off center so that at idle, it would barely touch the wp pulley at just one piont which would cause a squeak. If you put a little rpm's on it, the squeak stopped.

In my case, I know for a fact it was high rpm's that killed mine.

I had been making quite a few wot 3rd gear 6K plus rpm blasts to dial in my Open Loop fuel ratio and the next day it started to squeak, lol.

Later
Grady