Where do you cut your C Springs?

• Sponsors (?)

I just got my car back after having them installed and it is not raked bad at all. It might be because I have over 100 pounds taken off the front between the a/c unit, lines, condensor, smog pump and lines, egr delete, aluminum heads, and no strut tower brace. :shrug:

I cut the srpings in another car once and it bounced dangerously around curves and lost traction from hoppity hopping on down the road... maybe start taking weight off the front, battery relocation to rear might help too.

I just installed B springs and had some concerns that is would have a raked look. But, I also installed Lakewood Lift bars. They are lower control arms that have a bracket that wraps around the axle tube. The same bracket also has a new mounting point for the control arm that is about 1.5" lower than stock. So, my car is level front to rear.

SeventyMach1 said:
Cutting springs can be BAD. I can't tell you "where to cut them" .... but ... prepare for a harsh ride if you do.
bill302 said:
don't cut the springs if you need it lower all autoparts stores sell a kit that will allow you to lower it by compressing the spring i can't remember the name of the part offhand but someone will....

Listen guys, I agree with you both about chopping springs, however Ford C's have a dead coil on them to begin with so it's ok to take that coil off :)

tomustang said:
Listen guys, I agree with you both about chopping springs, however Ford C's have a dead coil on them to begin with so it's ok to take that coil off :)

Yes, the C springs have a dead coil intended to be cut if the owner so chooses to do so. The c springs "stock" are higher in the rear so that one can still run slicks on them if he or she chooses to do so without fitment issues. My springs have already settled as they have been on for a few months now and it still rides at nearly stock height in the back. So once again where do I cut them?

"Threre are two coils that are touching or very nearly touching each other, and you cut it off right where the end of the coil is. I'm not sure how. I think a grinder would be best....you don't want the spring to get very hot."..at the top.

"The dead coil doesn't get compressed when it's installed on the car and the spring is not cut-well not for the most part. So removing the dead coil ONLY removes however much space it took up, which happens to be .5"-maybe a tad more.

http://www.miracerros.com/mustang/springs.htm

"The C springs initially dropped my 2000 convertible 1-1/2" in front and 5/8" in the rear. Cutting the dead coil off the rear springs increased the rear drop to one inch."

I don't think you can cut the fronts. From my knowledge ..only the backs have dead coils for the possibility of drag slicks. It would make no sense to put drag slicks on the front so I am guessing there are no dead coils on the front.

Right now, my car is sitting real nice...I wonder if it will drop more in the front though..it is already low enough

bill302 said:

You can get those, at least in the past, at your local autopart stores. They are not that great though. I had my springs cut to lower my car - it has the slammed look (about 2.5-3" I guess). I just installed the MM coilover kit and noticed that the stock springs looked as if they were just cut from the top - a couple of coils. Remember though you need to get some quality shocks and struts to help dampen things. I initially used the stock shocks and kept bottom out. As a matter of fact the rears bottomed out so badly that it broke my rear sway bar. I then put on some shocks that were designed for lowered cars - no more bottoming out, nor did I have the bouncy or choppy ride.

Peace

Does anyone know how to post a pic? I would like to show you the rake on mine. A friend said it was too high in the back. O' well, I guess I am next to cut, lol. I would also like to show y'all the $400 rims I bought that some folks wanted to see...not to mention the cross drilled/slotted rotors I bought new and very inexpensively off ebay..picks are kind of dim..I will post more on a sunny day.

Here goes:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2324864/1

2324864_3_full.jpg

2324864_2_full.jpg

Is that the pic you wanted posted?

Thx. I posted some brighter pics and a close up of the wheels I bought in case anyone is interested in those type of wheels. Pics still don't do the car justice in my-o. Maybe check out the interior. I did it myself and some of you who need a new leather steering wheel may want to look at the wrap. It was $50 but full leather and very professional looking.

As to the c-springs, there are still getting cut next week. It doesn't look all that high in the back but FEELS way racked when I am driving. Not comfortable.