Where to find Cobra R style Side exit tips?

• Sponsors (?)

wow, strange! i have been looking to change the look of my car for a while now. i just have to finish up the engine/blower stuff.

anyway, one of the things i was thinking about was side exhaust. i wanted to do side pipes with 03 cobra sideskirts.

anyway, you are saying the kits like the steeda side exhaust are the ones that lose power right because the inlet and outlet are on the same side right?

so basically you have to have a side exhaused fabed up. i just like all stainless steel, but i guess i could get that from a custom shop.

wow, strange! i have been looking to change the look of my car for a while now. i just have to finish up the engine/blower stuff.

anyway, one of the things i was thinking about was side exhaust. i wanted to do side pipes with 03 cobra sideskirts.

anyway, you are saying the kits like the steeda side exhaust are the ones that lose power right because the inlet and outlet are on the same side right?

so basically you have to have a side exhaused fabed up. i just like all stainless steel, but i guess i could get that from a custom shop.

On my car, I couldn't feel a loss in power with the inlet/outlet mufflers. (250-260rwhp). I would guess that your car would lose a little bit of power with those mufflers. Once you get under the car, you see that there is not a whole lot space to put the mufflers if you go with a custom setup because the mufflers have to be moved, and then will scrape the ground. Flowmaster did make a set of mufflers that were around 2 inches thick many years ago that I saw in a local performance shop, that would work. They were ultra thin for a muffler. Good luck

Mark

For the little bit that you MAY lose in hp...it is more work than is necessary to fab your own...just buy a borla kit...totally worth it!

oh the only ones I could find like yours were only 2.25" but that was just at summit lol.
Yeah, i did a search and noticed the same thing for mine and similar double walled dual tips. But i can assure you mine are 2.5", they mated up even with my 2.5" piping when welded.

And the instance of someone with a side-pipes premade kit describing how much work it is to fab side pipes makes me lol. Not only did I do it with 2 other friends, you can have an exhaust shop do it for you with your supplied materials and still cost half as much since most people need to bring side-pipe kits to an exhaust shop anyways to mount the rear hangers and do fitting.

thanks for the info....it would be easy to just buy the borla. if i lose 10hp it would be no big deal, if i lose 30 id be crying! there is no way to tell untill you try it i guess.

i really like the way the steeda kit looks but that is the borla right?

i do have another look in mind though which i would have to fab up with a shop...hard decision.

wish there was more info out on side exhaust power numbers.

i would like do do magna packs on a side exhaust but those i would have to fab up correct?

Yes, you'd have to fab up any muffler that doesn't have a same side-in/out or basically all straight through mufflers. But let me set this straight, even if im not the biggest proponent of kits - i'm going to go ahead and assure you that you wont lose over 10rwhp. Mostly it's like 3-7 from what i hear. For me function takes precedence over form, especially on a part that's supposed to ADD power which sucks when it does the opposite - but it's not like the kit's rob you of gobs of power (on a turbo app maybe). Also there is less bending and a lot less piping in a fab'd set-up than even a regular cat-back so it really is a good option for power.

i really would like to fab up my own. id like to use bassani muffs if they have anything that would fit the bill. i know some of those catback systems they have sound awsome.
anyway, i guess i will talk to some custom shops to see what they can do first, then if it seems like pita i could go with the borla/steeda unit.

and you make a great point that the custom units using less pipe and bends should be good for power.

i wonder if i can just get a custom piping comming right from my catted x pipe with no mufflers at all.

i wonder how that would sound being i want to keep my cats

It actually doesnt sound too pleasant w/out mufflers, i've driven it around that way while they were off for polishing. It's cool cuz it's loud, but it's more of a "BlllAAAAT" sound not really a muscle tone - quite a racket.
Let me know what size bassani's you want to use and i can let you know if the design i'm using will work with them.

Im gunna get all the parts and pieces lined up so that way If I ever want to go back to rear exit exhaust I can. Example being, I'll have all the connects all the pipe connections clamped rather than welded except at the tips. I plan on buying 2 intermidiate pipes ( Dynomax Performance 52041 - Dynomax Intermediate Pipes - summitracing.com ) and have them shorted to around 4" rather than modify anything off my current magnapack catback. Like I said So I can return to original if I want. I'm also going to set it up with these tips Hedman Hedders 17117 - Hedman Hot Tips Chrome Exhaust Tips - summitracing.com As I really like them!

wonder what the roush cars lose hp wise compaired the a regular gt with the same mods.

has anyone switched the desing of their car from regular to roush side exhaust and had a before and after dyno? that would be interesting to see what they lost

You can still weld your new piping and if you decide, still just unbolt it from the mid-pipe and put the stock cat-back on. All you're doing is designing a new cat-back. The only thing that's permanent is the mounting point for the hanger, but the hanger comes off as well. I don't get why you'd need to clamp it.