Where to get a 9" housing for my 67???

• Sponsors (?)

paul302 said:
fox bodied 8.8" will fit after spring perches are welded in.
8.8's will handle alot of power and are far less expensive than 9" stuff.
I keep seeing this in places but no real web page or article explaining this. Anybody have more info on placing a late model 8.8 in a classic Mustang?

mustangprodude said:
I keep seeing this in places but no real web page or article explaining this. Anybody have more info on placing a late model 8.8 in a classic Mustang?
http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=525560&highlight=8.8

It is becomming a popular swap, the 8.8 is more efficient (less power loss to parasitic drag) than the 9, weighs less than the 9, and can be found with disc brakes for which cheap over-the-counter parts are readilly available.

But it is harder to work on (c-clips suck), is not as strong (you don't see the Chevy guys in NASCAR running Ford 8.8s do you), has an offset pinion which may cause exhaust routing issues, and I doubt costs less to install than a 9.

You should be able to find a correct sized (67-70 are easy, 65-66 not so) 9 complete for around $250 from salvage. I bought mine for $150 from a totalled XR7.

9" housings are a dime a dozen. 9" housings that will bolt into a classic Stang are not. Other applications that will fit: 57-59 Ford, late 70's Lincoln Versailles ( also optional on the Monarchs and Granadas, so it pays to check em when you run across em) Might be better off just picking one from a pickup or even a 69-74 Van ( you could possibly just have to shorten one end on these) and narrow it. Cost for this is no different from doing an 8.8 swap.

mine came from a 73. the spring perches were perfect but overall width is about 2-3 inches wider. I'm running late model wheels from a 99 and they fit nice, still a little too inset for my taste, but they work

67coupestang said:
mine came from a 73. the spring perches were perfect but overall width is about 2-3 inches wider. I'm running late model wheels from a 99 and they fit nice, still a little too inset for my taste, but they work

I was thinking what 67coupestang has revealed about this question recently. If you'd like to run late model wheels, including but not limited to Bullit wheels, Mach 1 wheels, 2005 V6 wheels, etc., then some of the wider rears from other vehicles would probably fit the bill.
I have a buddy that has a mid to late 70's station wagon in his stable of parts cars for his '70 Mach clone, which I believe is an LTD station wagon, but I certainly don't claim to be an expert on 4-door mid to late 70's wood grained station wagons. It was the car his Mom drove when he was a kid, and he's parked it in the weeds with his '70 parts cars in case it will come in handy. We were looking at it recently, and he pointed out something that's pretty neat about it. It has a trac-lok rear with, from what I recall, a very desireable ratio, which really isn't surprising given its tank-like weight and which makes the rearend pretty darn interesting to begin with. To top that, however, its a coil sprung 9" rear, which I have never seen.
Now, I have to ask myself, what would a coil-sprung rear under our cars be like? It would certainly be different, but I think its undeniable that the manufacturers have decided that coil springs are superior to leafs for handling purposes on the rear. We all know what late model Stangs have: coil spring rears (unless of course, we're talking about a late-model cobra, which has an independent coil spung rear). Remember, 9" Ford rears with coil springs are standard fare in the NASCAR series, whether it be open track or road course.

I understand that any 9" rear could be modified to accept coils, but I wonder how much of the set-up on the old station wagon could be modified, beefed up, and converted over to the Mustang rear frame rails? Has anyone seen this done? Food for thought. :D

All the ( pretty sure on the year here) 65-up full size Fords and Mercs had coil sprung, 4 link suspensions. As for if they handle better, that's a toss up. My 68 Merc surely doesn't handle like a newer Stang does. On the plus side, swapping the rear coils is easy, only takes a half hour at most, so you could keep a set of soft springs for the strip and stiffer ones for handling on hand to tailor the suspension to what you need.That station wagon 9" most likely also has 31 spline axles along with traction-loc. Better measure the wheel bolt pattern though, it could be the not so common 5x5" that some had.