Where to mount electric fuel pump?

mustangman70

Founding Member
Dec 30, 2001
St pete, Florida
Where is the best and most effective way to mount an electric fuel pump, the only thing left before i can spray this thing is to plumb the fuel system, also, what would be the best way to get the fuel TO the fuel pump if im still using the stock gas tank and outlet line :shrug: It will be ONLY for the nitrous and the car will have a edelbrock mecahanical pump for the carb :spot: :banana:

• Sponsors (?)

Below the tank is what you are supposed to do.

On a 70, I would mount it directly to the rear frame rail, ahead of the axle. That's where I plan on mounting my pump for the EFI swap.

When I was running NOS I mounted mine in front of the gas tank and just to the right (driver side) of the sending unit. I mounted a piece of aluminum flat plate (4" X 6") with two bolts to the lip that is in front of the gas tank. I ran a short piece of steel braided hose from the pump inlet to the gas tank drain using aluminum race fittings. Keep both lines seperate if you are running NOS otherwise you could run lean and that would be very bad.

Yes, i am going to use the electric pump as a stand alone fuel supply just for the nitrous, then let the mecahnical pump just run the motor, the only time the electric pump will be turned on, is when i arm the nitrous system......wait thehueypilot...you may have just made my day, are you saying i can just keep the stock fuel line to the mechanical pump just the way it is back to the tank.....then for the electic pump use the drain hole feature for the nitrous pump feed line.......that sounds like a DAMN good idea bro....what type of fitting did you use to convert it :shrug:

Sorry im still totally lost on the dual fuel supplies.
I think you need to choose one, either mechanical or electric fuel pump, not both.
I have not run nitrous for a long time, someone please correct me if im wrong, but 2 fuel supplies??

Sounds like you're going to have massive over fueling when you hit the button???

If you're going to run nitrous, I think you should remove the mechanical fuel pump, install an electric fuel pump, and regulator.

Have you run nitrous before?

2 fuel supplys seems like overkill to me, but then again i'm not a nitrous junkie...

one word of warning. remember your drain is FORWARD of where the in tank pickup is. when fuel sloshes to the rear you could overcover that and not get any fuel. it's unlikely you'd run with that little gas in the tank, but just something to consider.

mustangman70 said:
Yes, i am going to use the electric pump as a stand alone fuel supply just for the nitrous, then let the mecahnical pump just run the motor, the only time the electric pump will be turned on, is when i arm the nitrous system......wait thehueypilot...you may have just made my day, are you saying i can just keep the stock fuel line to the mechanical pump just the way it is back to the tank.....then for the electic pump use the drain hole feature for the nitrous pump feed line.......that sounds like a DAMN good idea bro....what type of fitting did you use to convert it :shrug:

I bought the same stainless steel 3/8" stock fuel line (pre-bent) that runs from the gas tank to the mechanical fuel pump and mounted it directly beside the existing one for the mech pump. They sell steel line clamps that tie two lines together so you have a neat, almost stock looking install. The fittings are standard reusable AN type fittings. The drain plug fitting is a 90 degree swivel, 3/8" NPT to #6 or #8 AN steel braided hose. I installed 3/8" hard line tube fittings (on both ends of the SS steel line)to #6 female straight fitting to run the fuel line up to the NOS fuel solenoid and in the back directly to the output side of the fuel pump.

When I did my nitrous install, I just opted for a high-flow mechanical pump. Much easier and more reliable.

Yes, you'll be fine with a fitting. Tho I would use a Y fitting instead of a T.

70_Nitrous_Eater said:
When I did my nitrous install, I just opted for a high-flow mechanical pump. Much easier and more reliable.

Yes, you'll be fine with a fitting. Tho I would use a Y fitting instead of a T.

The issue I see in teeing into the existing line is the fuel sending unit pick-up line is only 5/16" dia. (if it is a stock unit) so if you run an NOS system you could lean out the NOS side because you are reducing the fuel volume by splitting it.

thehueypilot said:
The issue I see in teeing into the existing line is the fuel sending unit pick-up line is only 5/16" dia. (if it is a stock unit) so if you run an NOS system you could lean out the NOS side because you are reducing the fuel volume by splitting it.

Which is exactly why i like the drain plug gimmick :hail2: So i will mount the pump where you said, run the inlet from the drain, then ill run from the pump to the regulators. Have you ever had a problem with fuel not getting to the drain :shrug: as for over kill, keep in mind the MOTOR itself will only be getting its 6.5 psi from a street edelbrock mechanical pump through the stock line, when you hit the nitrous you NEED more fuel, and i just dont want to rely on the same fuel line for the spray, most nitrous failures are do to a lack of fuel, so i want to make sure im getting enough, too much is better then not enough :cheers: The pump is a holley blue with a regulater, the pump is set to 14 PS! and i will set the regulator at 9 to ensure even with the hit of NITROUS it dosent drop below 7.5 :banana: Im also using 2 pressure safey switches, and a MSD multi step retard box so when i arm the nitrous system, it automaticly retards the timing :spot: I dont have a window switch yet, im debating on getting one :bang: ..................lol as you can tell im making sure the system is safe :banana:

Sounds like you got it covered.....I raced with NOS until I blew head gaskets and melted two AFR225 aluminum heads. A lean out condition was not what got me, but I was running too low on NOS trying to finish a race and got hit with a NOS explosion that blew/melted stuff. Yes, I should of had a spare bottle, but it costs $$$$$. I no longer run the stuff.......but I still run my electric fuel pump as a back up & supplement to my mech fuel pump. Good Luck! :nice:

thehueypilot said:
Sounds like you got it covered.....I raced with NOS until I blew head gaskets and melted two AFR225 aluminum heads. A lean out condition was not what got me, but I was running too low on NOS trying to finish a race and got hit with a NOS explosion that blew/melted stuff. Yes, I should of had a spare bottle, but it costs $$$$$. I no longer run the stuff.......but I still run my electric fuel pump as a back up & supplement to my mech fuel pump. Good Luck! :nice:
?????? Sounds like a lean out to me. I would never think of putting a fuel pick up at the front of a tank. Low N2O pressure = rich condition = no melting.

mustangman70, I've been high 10s with a single blue pump. The pump is enough to support what you are doing, motor and nitrous. Your problem is getting it out of the tank.

Yeah, I have heard of people doing it with one blue. The reason I did, other than peace of mind, was so when I set the PSI for the nitrous side, that was it. I never had to wonder if it was slowly going to loose pressure once the motor was really suckin'd own the gas.
7.5 will be a little high. NOS recomends 5.5 flowing. I always ran 5.75-6.25

Huey, I think Brian is right. I had a nitrous solenoid not opening on the dyno. It went way below 10-1 on the dyno, and only made an extra 20 hp to the rear with a 100 shot. No Kablewy. Please, put another seperate fuel system in for nitrous, and go stomp some Chevy ass.

You can have my extra blue I have DIRT cheap if it will get you back on the bottle.

10secgoal said:
Huey, I think Brian is right. I had a nitrous solenoid not opening on the dyno. It went way below 10-1 on the dyno, and only made an extra 20 hp to the rear with a 100 shot. No Kablewy. Please, put another seperate fuel system in for nitrous, and go stomp some Chevy ass.

You can have my extra blue I have DIRT cheap if it will get you back on the bottle.

Thanks...but no Thanks! I was not very consistent on NOS and could never get dialed in to be competitive. I'll stick to "Motor Only" for now besides I sold the system to buy some new CalTracs. :nice: