where to start?

KTM_43

May 25, 2005
Oregon
So I pick up this 68 coupe mustang and it needs lot of help! I don't know a darn thing about car but I am ready and willing to learn on this. Now that I have her up and at least driving I need to know where to start. It apears to me that just about every part on it is going to need my attention! So that's my Question where do I start? With Body? With engine? Is there a genral list of where to start from? So much to do. Please keep in mind I'm just looking to turn it into a fun driving car with a little get up and go power!

• Sponsors (?)

Well it depends on what you goal /plan is if you wont to drive it while you work on it then I suggest to get it handling and Stopping first. Make it safe first if it wont turn where you wont it to go and you cant stop when you wont then it don’t matter how fast you can go. Next stop all the rust you can as soon as you can remember rust never sleeps. Then you can work on making it go and look good.Welcome to the insanity / addiction / money pit err I mean hobby.

Plan, plan, plan, then do it will save you money and time.

That's a good question. I assume you are planning on doing whatever needs to be done to it to get it in good order, so here's the direction I go with a ground up restoration:

PLAN!!! Start with a plan. Planning will help keep you on track, on task and on a budget. The better researched, more detailed and more flexible a plan the better. I run both an analysis of how much the parts and labor are going to cost and how long each section will take.

Here's how I divide and analyze my costs, as well as the steps I do the work in:

Supplies
Paints
Sealents
Fluids
Cleaners
Assembly Lubricants

Body
Panels
Doors
Glass
Trim
Fasteners, Dowels & Bushings
Gaskets, Seals & Plugs
Work

Chassis
Suspension & Steering
Brakes
Wheels & Tires
Gaskets, Seals & Plugs
Work

Electrical & Vacuum
Battery, Wiring & Vacuum Lines
Lighting
Body
Chassis
Interior
Engine & Drivetrain
Gaskets, Seals & Plugs
Work

Interior
Trim
Panels
Seats, Upholstry, Carpet & Headliner
Gaskets, Seals & Plugs
Work

Engine & Drivetrain
Fuel & Induction
Valvetrain & Heads
Ignition
Exhaust
Shortblock
Oil
Cooling
Engine Accessories
Emissions
Transmission & Driveline
Rear End
Gaskets, Seals & Plugs
Work

Then I figure out how long each section will take me. Also, I make certain I get a detailed catalog of photos of the vehicle before I start disassembling to begin with the body work, then I make certain each part is cataloged and stored safely so the re-assembly goes together as smoothly as possible.

Hope that helps.

v8stang67 said:
Probably anything safety related, such as suspension, steering, brakes, etc should come first. Next I would look for rust. Have you taken out the carpet and looked underneath yet?

It didn't have carpet when i bought it just was really rusted out floor pans. I see that all of you have said some thing about rust. DO I start tearing her down looing for rust? :shrug: The battery area is really bad!

It really depends on how much work you want to do. If all you want is to drive it and don't care much about the body, just take care of the suspension, brakes and make sure the drivetrain works. If you want a "new" Mustang, strip it down and start from the bottom. But be warned, that comes with a solid $10,000 - $20,000 price tag.

ohh boy.. dont even touch mods or suspension when you dont have a safe body to bolt it to! :nonono: poke around for rust in the quarters and inner cowl (look under the dash), then look for it on the frame rails and inner aprons, and then in the trunk, and last at the doors. once you have a solid good body then its fun to work on.. use the suspension and motor thoughts to motivate you on the car. what we had to do with the fastback we had :( lol

Buy a lot of rust converter and get it on ANY rusted spot you find. Time definately matters. That will hold off the rust while you do whatever else you want. Later you can go back, grind all of the rust off, and put some kind of sealant to keep the area rust free until you want to do anything else. If panels are really rusted out you might as well replace them rather than try to fix them.

There's also a really good book for the first-time auto restorer called "How To Restore You Collector Car" from Motorbooks International. It does a nice job of going through the process of auto restoration with some great tips on project management and what kinds of challenges to expect.

whiskeygirl said:
So I pick up this 68 coupe mustang and it needs lot of help! I don't know a darn thing about car but I am ready and willing to learn on this. Now that I have her up and at least driving I need to know where to start. It apears to me that just about every part on it is going to need my attention! So that's my Question where do I start? With Body? With engine? Is there a genral list of where to start from? So much to do. Please keep in mind I'm just looking to turn it into a fun driving car with a little get up and go power!

Safety first:
Brakes, u-joints- grease or replace all bearings, suspension, tires, radiator exhaust then when its running good start on the rust.