Wheres a better place to get a dyno tune

• Sponsors (?)

What dont you like? Is the A/F off? Pretty much all your doing on a dyno is making sure its safe and getting a number to bench race with, The drivability stuff is done on the street. If you just want better numbers, go to a place that has a Mustang dyno and have them fudge your correction. Numbers wont do a damn thing for you, the track will tell the whole story.

I've been fooling around a lot with methanol lately.
NA motors 12.5:1 ish
Forced induction 11.3:1
Methanol + forced 10.75:1

Methanol I've noticed from knock sensor values prefers a rich invironment.
Also you don't have to overly retard timing out when running the methanol either. Personally i dont' change the timing at all if any i add timing

gospeedgo said:
What dont you like? Is the A/F off? Pretty much all your doing on a dyno is making sure its safe and getting a number to bench race with, The drivability stuff is done on the street. If you just want better numbers, go to a place that has a Mustang dyno and have them fudge your correction. Numbers wont do a damn thing for you, the track will tell the whole story.
Blood has a Mustang Dyno. Their Dyno typically reads low. You could go some were that has a Dynojet and do some power pulls just for a number.

breakemlose said:
I've been fooling around a lot with methanol lately.
NA motors 12.5:1 ish
Forced induction 11.3:1
Methanol + forced 10.75:1

Methanol I've noticed from knock sensor values prefers a rich invironment.
Also you don't have to overly retard timing out when running the methanol either. Personally i dont' change the timing at all if any i add timing

Methanol is great stuff in that it burns clean, likes lotts of compression, and burns rellatively cool. The drawback is ya usually burn about 3x as much, and its fairly agressive on materials, Ethanol is usually a better choice. (imho)

DD
:shrug: :flag:

Oh, just fyi the reason it likes to be rich is because the stoicometric point for meth/eth is lower than for gasoline (richer). Not all fuels are 14.7:1, just gas.

gospeedgo said:
that was essentially my point, although they would not likely fudge their numbers like some less reputable shops may. :D

numbers are just numbers....whats it run in the 1/4?
what shops fudge numbers and how do they do that by changing the load on the dyno or some other way?

As I am to understand, Mustang dyno's require a lot of input regarding car weight and such that allow a lot of variables. Chances are, if you took your car to different places, they likely would use different numbers and in turn your HP numbers would be greatly different. It would be very easy to manipulate a HP increase just by changing, say the cars weight.

gospeedgo said:
As I am to understand, Mustang dyno's require a lot of input regarding car weight and such that allow a lot of variables. Chances are, if you took your car to different places, they likely would use different numbers and in turn your HP numbers would be greatly different. It would be very easy to manipulate a HP increase just by changing, say the cars weight.
so what non-reputable shops should i not take my car to to get a bad tune the reason i ask is that im almost ready to get the car tuned and dont know where to take it yet any input would be good thanks

Wow 1400 for a dyno tune and they were not "willing to get into it?!!??" I would have had serious issues with that. I have also heard many nightmares about that place. I know I will NEVER go there or recommend anyone go there.. They Charged a buddy $600 to clean up some wiring as it was "not safe to nhra standards" for them to run it on thier dyno.. needless to say they didn't get paid for that BS as they had his car a month and never even tuned it...

Turbo Technology in Tacoma has done some dyno tuning for me. My last tuning session was about 400 bucks for seven pulls, time to reprogram the chip, the bung welded in and an exhaust leak fixed. They got me 20 more hp and a nice increase in the torque curve through the center of the rpm range. Most folks complain that they are too expensive ($85 per hour) though.

lamrith said:
Wow 1400 for a dyno tune and they were not "willing to get into it?!!??" I would have had serious issues with that. I have also heard many nightmares about that place. I know I will NEVER go there or recommend anyone go there.. They Charged a buddy $600 to clean up some wiring as it was "not safe to nhra standards" for them to run it on thier dyno.. needless to say they didn't get paid for that BS as they had his car a month and never even tuned it...

thats not bad.

my friend took his car in with valvetrain geometry issues. they held it for 2 months, swapped lifters/pushrods.. 1500 dollars.

300 dollars in parts tops there.

lamrith said:
I know I will NEVER go there or recommend anyone go there.. They Charged a buddy $600 to clean up some wiring as it was "not safe to nhra standards" for them to run it on thier dyno.

Oh good heavens, if I heard that I would have promptly turned around and drove my car right out of there. What a bunch of f'ing tools. :bs:

I dont mind blood that much, I deal with Mark down there, He is a pretty cool guy. I heard the mustang dyno is better for drivabilitly tuning and such. It was 1400 including the bung welded in and buying the chip. The car has good power but they just dident work on the water/meth at all. I Guys 400wrhp without anything cooling the charge down isent too bad. I havent ran the car down the track yet sense the Air Force has had me gone for the last two years. Ill be at the track alot this comming season.